1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for something more? Editor, Trenton, NJ

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Diego Marquez, Jan 9, 2007.

1. John Medeiros

John Medeiros Member

I read the reviews and now miss Trenton (but only a little bit). It isn't my heart aching for the scenery, but my stomach aching for the food.
    I worked at DeLo's on Hamilton during the switch from full kitchen to pizza only. People used to wait (no reservations, and no waiting area except outside on the sidewalk) for two hours just to get in. After the switch to pizza only, most nights (especially in the summer, and every Friday & Saturday night) people were still waiting outside for two hours. Take-out? No chance, the phone came off the hook at 4. No delivery, either. That was the one thing I never understood, standing outside or waiting in a car for hours at a restaurant. Even more so for the pizza-only DeLo's. But that's how good the food was, even won an award for best pizza in the country.
    As an employee, it was great. We were always done by 11 (place closed at 9:30), meaning parties or a weekend at the shore were doable. You could hit Philly before the clubs closed if you brought a change of clothes to work. And the family, and Al, was all good people.

2. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Trenton has the greatest unknown restaurants in the world.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

No respectable birdcage would permit having the Trentonian for a liner.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i don't know if it's been said here, but i understand the owner of the chain is tight with his money and doesn't give a shit about the product.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . not to mention flighty, inconsistent, and broadly malicious towards the working stiffs in his employ . . . from what I hear tell.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The obvious goof would be to get an interview, go in . . . and ask innocent questions regarding each and every ticking time bomb in the place.

7. Bob_Jelloneck

Bob_Jelloneck Member

Looking for "something more?"

I got "something more" for ya right here, pally.

;)

[​IMG]

8. sok76

sok76 New Member

Yes I did. Look I'm not saying I was great or even good, for that matter, but the way I was treated I'm glad I was fired. I respect Carl for trying to stand up for me, but it was him that did the firing. That little pri_k Murray was the one who mandated it, funny how Carl got fired anyway. What really pissed me off was the fact that the union didn't do shit for me. I signed my piece of paper and turned it in, so as far as I knew I was in the union. I was supposed to have some meeting with the rep and the publisher, but that never happened and he drug his feet. I didn't care all that much so I really didn't push it though. Worked out really well for me in the end. I got a job as the managing editor of a group of weeklies in South Jerz, named in the top 25 fastest growing business in SJ by Philadelphia Business Journal. Imagine that going from possibly the worst newspaper in New Jersey to this. To top it off, my dad was inducted into the Steinert Hall of Fame recently, Steinert is one of the main schools the Trentonian covers. So I just laugh now and take pity on anyone who is still there, and anyone who may be going there in the future. BTW, sorry it took me so long to say anything about all that.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The Trentonian has a union?

Is the Guild in bed with Jelenic? Would they allow that shit to happen in many other places? I'd say no.

10. sok76

sok76 New Member

Yeah they do have a union. Everyone pays union dues, but then gets them all back at the end of the year. So I'm not exactly sure how that works

11. Hoop Time

Hoop Time Member

You make those pictures of hot chicks sound like a bad thing!

My question is: Where do they find them? From what I have seen of trenton, they must come from out of town.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

This Trentonian is useless without pictures!

Draft saved Draft deleted