1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for something more? Editor, Trenton, NJ

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Diego Marquez, Jan 9, 2007.

1. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

The exact time frame in question is in dispute but yes. The Washington Post bought the Times of Trenton in the 1970s and tried to bury the Trentonian. They failed. Katharine Graham would later call Trenton her "Waterloo."

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The Trentonian bills itself as the area's only Pulitzer Prize winning newspaper.
    What they neglect to mention was that the Pulitzer was for a photo.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

No, it was for editorial writing by Gil Spencer, who was the paper's editor and later editor of the Philly Daily News, New York Daily News and Denver Post. That was in 1974, however.

4. EStreetJoe

oops my bad. I had been told it was for a photo.

5. John Medeiros

John Medeiros Member

I grew up in Trenton when the Trentonian was the morning paper and the Times was the p.m. The Trentonian was where you turned for city news. And it was THE place for sports coverage. Even after the Times went to mornings, I don't remember a lot of people coming into DeLorenzo's for lunch and reading the Times. But that was a long time ago, and I don't live in Trenton anymore.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

do you thank god every day?

7. EStreetJoe

Which DeLorenzo's -- Hamilton Ave. or Hudson St.?

8. John Medeiros

John Medeiros Member

Answers...
    Yes!
    Hamilton Ave.

9. GameTime

GameTime New Member

I ask the same thing????

10. EStreetJoe

If the stories I and others have heard about that paper are to be believed, the answer is yes.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

As absolute coincidence would have it (sorry for the threadjack), this is one of the featured restaurants on roadfood.com today.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=4188&RefID=3207

12. EStreetJoe

DeLorenzo's has two locations that are different. That review was of the Hudson Street location while John fondly remembers the Hamilton Avenue location. Here's a review of both:
    http://www.trentondowntowner.com/Muncher.php?article=652

Draft saved Draft deleted