1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for some help from a few MLB beat writers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Dangerously, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

My month-long computer issues have set me back in a number of ways, including playing havoc with some assignments I've picked up to have some money coming in while I continue to look for a job and appeal my unemployment denial. I hesitated before posting this (and moderators, if you need to move this or delete this, I'll understand), but I could use some help from a few major league beat writers out there.

It's not anything that should be too complicated or time-consuming for you if you're in the clubhouse or otherwise on the beat daily, and it would really help me out of a jam with the clock ticking on a deadline.

If you're interested, please PM me. I'd be grateful for any assistance you can give me.

Thanks,

J_D

2. Johnny Dangerously

I appreciate that, my good man. I need someone with regular access to players (or an agent or two). I realize people on beats are swamped as it is, and I feel bad even asking this way, but if anyone can spare a few minutes to help me in a pinch, I'd be grateful. Cold beer is all I can offer as a reward, but I'll buy it with a smile and maybe even make sure a good plate of jambalaya is waiting for you next time you make it down South.

3. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

You can usually get phone numbers for agents through the players' union: 212-826-0808

4. Johnny Dangerously

Thanks for this.

5. Johnny Dangerously

If I want comments from a few players about their preference for a certain brand of equipment, is the path of least resistance to go through those channels (agents, via the union) or through the media relations staff of the teams? It's been a long time since I dealt with MLB folks, and they don't know me from Adam. I'm not sure how this game is played these days after so many years working a college beat.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'd try both, and whichever gets the job done first, there you go.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hate to say it, but the media relations and agents will almost surely be equally unhelpful, especially if they have no idea who you are.

Two years ago I would have helped you out. Of course, two years ago, you wouldn't have needed help, right? :mad:

Draft saved Draft deleted