1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for scout sources ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

... for a couple stories I want to do. What the best way to go about finding them? Should I call the local pro team and find out what they think of a college player? Contact a scouting system?
    I've never really done this before, but I have a story I'd like to write.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. leo1

leo1 Active Member

it depends what sport you're talking about.

but generally - and i mean this very generally - unless they know you, scouts won't talk on the record about a prospect. you're not gonna get the denver broncos area scout for your region to give his honest opinion about johnny third-through-sixth round defensive end. he might give you a quote you can use without attribution if you know the scout.

if you have a relationship with, say, the player personnel guy of local NFL team and you're talking about, say, a local college hotshot, he'll give you a quote because it's harmless.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Scouts are scared shitless, most of them anyway, to say anything on the record. Most are under strict orders not to talk. I got lucky, a coach I knew well went into scouting and he was always good. If he couldn't help, he'd refer me to a media friendly colleague.

The Falcons used to have a guy, Hagen I think was his last name, who didn't give a shit about any rules. He'd talk his ass off and shoot straight, too.

4. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I should have specified.
    Basketball.
    I'm looking for a scout's take on a local college guy and his NBA chances. Looking for on-the-record stuff, names withheld if necessary.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Same thing, different sport.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Doesn't Marty Blake go on the record about pretty much every player?

7. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Yes, he seems to live just to do that.

He is listed as the NBA's director of scouting.

8. earlyentry

earlyentry Member

Maybe college basketball analysts like Jay Bilas and Fran Fraschilla. Both have covered the NBA Draft in June for the last several years.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

What was said above was very true. Scouts have a million opinions, they love to talk, but they hate to be quoted. I don't know how much you could get on the record, and you probably wouldn't get much off the record without some level of trust established.

Are there Kiper-like gurus for the NBA draft? If so, one (or more) of them might be your best bet. Those guys love to be quoted because they usually have guides or website access to sell. Failing that, try the networks that cover the NBA. They love to see their experts quoted.

10. Can someone explain central scouting-ish things to me?

Like...why should there be a league repository of scouting information? Isn't it the job of individual teams, rather than the league office, to identify and evaluate talent? Why does Marty Blake's job exist? (What does he actually do?)

11. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Marty's a great guy and will talk all day. He won't, however, talk on the record about underclassmen.

At least, he hasn't in my experiences with him.

12. JLawson

JLawson Member

If your guy is NBA quality there should be scouts coming to see games once in awhile. That's a good opportunity to at least get something. I sat next to a scout once at a game and he talked my head off about a guy, with the exception I didn't use his name just "an NBA scout said..."

Draft saved Draft deleted