1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for 'pay-to-play' states

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HoosierLoser, Jan 28, 2009.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I am going to guess in six months, 25-30% of all students in America will qualify for some form of reduced lunch.

It varies by state, but I think free and reduced in my state is about $42,000 for a family of four. Anything lower than $42,000 household income for a family of four would merit some reduction.

2. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I'm not sure that's all right. I know that most schools are eliminating/consolidating summer school so they're not cooling the buildings all year. And I know that in some places you can't get permission to use a building because they're not going to turn on the lights after hours.. or you're paying for it. One reason it costs so much to use a school facility is that they charge you not just for the space, but the heating/cooling and lights..

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Digress, that statement about the schools of course is not all inclusive, but I would say 60-70% of all schools fall into not doing anything with their HVAC.

When times were good in this county (the last 12 years), schools should have invested in upgrading their infrastructure, but the right wing no taxers wanted taxes so low that nothing was improved. That includes bridges and roads.

Not many Superintendents or School Boards will chose a new air handler or boiler over a set of books, but they need to make that decision every once in a while.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

$39k for a family of four to get reduced meals and $27.5k for free lunches.

Schools get additional funding on top of lunch reimbursements for free/reduced priced kids as well, so those scholarships really just take a little off of that extra funding schools get.

5. BH33

BH33 Member

Most, if not all, the districts in Colorado are pay to play. Some up to $150 or more per student per sport.

Draft saved Draft deleted