1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for 'pay-to-play' states

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HoosierLoser, Jan 28, 2009.

1. derwood

derwood Active Member

What's the per student budget?

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It still ain't shit.

The bigger the district, the bigger the debt.

A school district has a multi-million dollar budget. Heck, the one you are talking about is probably in the billion dollar range.

Ask them how many CPAs or MBAs are in their main offices. If guessing less than five. Maybe one.

3. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

The band "fair-share donation" at my kid's school is a couple hundred bucks. I'm sure there are kids who can't afford it, and I suspect they're given "scholarships."

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Ohio has a lot of these sorts of schools.

I was personally effected by this in high school. Our school district however opted out of the pay-to-play option and simply shut down sports all together.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

On one of your points, 93, doesn't it take more than a few minutes to heat up and cool down a 300,000-square-foot school? I see what you're saying, but if you shut the heat off on Friday afternoon, how long is it going to take to warm things back up on Monday morning? And how much is it going to cost to do that?

6. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Same in Washington and, I believe, Oregon. Some districts don't have any costs, while others are upwards of $100 per season.

7. 93Devil

Two hours running wide open. Most schools have automated controls for their HVAC, they just don't use them.

A boiler will run about 50% for the weekend, but at about 25% on a proper setback.

So do you want 72 hours at 25% at 60 degrees, or do you want 72 degrees at 50%?

You are using half the fuel at 60 degrees. This only works with gas, oil or propane heat. Do not do this with electric heat.

8. 93Devil

You are sacrificing a lot to make sports and arts pay for their use. In the grand scheme, there is "lower hanging fruit to grab."

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Did this board lay off all its copy editors also?

Affected

10. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I've researched this a bit, and in most cases, it seems they tie the fees to whether students are on reduced or free lunches. Free lunch kids don't pay, reduced lunch kids pay a smaller amount.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

You didn't get that memo?

You are no longer being paid. Sorry.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

There aren't enough copy editors to keep up with all the mistakes on this board. I know. I tried.

;)

Draft saved Draft deleted