1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking For Opinionated Journalists

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help wanted' started by Daniel T, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Daniel T

Daniel T New Member

We have started a new website: belowmendoza.com. And we are currently looking to add several writing positions.

We need columnists and "beat writers" in the sense that you would cover the weekly flow of a particular sport.

We are not paying as of now; that's a stretch goal of ours.

We produce content for any and every professional sport, including eSports if that interests you.

We also produce regular podcasts and are looking at expansion on that front.

So if anything interests you please e-mail: mendozabelow@gmail.com

Thanks

2. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Popcorn being popped now ...

If you want content, and you want it to be good, it's probably not going to come from people working for free.

3. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

What is with people, anyway? If I want to write for free, I'll start a blog.

4. Daniel T

Daniel T New Member

More of a college position as of now. We just launched this week. I'm still a senior at Miami U. I understand we aren't going to pull in primetime journalists. But it's good for anyone in college. We offer the opportunity to podcast, and in the future videocast.

5. Daniel T

Daniel T New Member

To be clear: both of us that founded the website are working for free and have both actually lost money. Just trying to be a source for strong opinions and résumé building.

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Sharing your opinion for free is what people do on this site, but you won't get very asking people to do it. Having said that, this is an ambitious endeavor for a college student. Good luck.

7. Daniel T

Daniel T New Member

Thanks! Most of the advice I've received from people like Shelley Smith, Terence Moore, and Stephen A. is that you need to show people you can do it on your own. I'm currently running sports director for college radio, interning, and running this site! Hoping to find people with similar goals in mind.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

No disrespect, Daniel, but we get tons of these kinds of listings. And I mean TONS. If you don't see them, it's because we delete them. This will be deleted soon as well. This is a board for professionals and opportunities without cash don't fly. When your site makes it big and can pay, come on back and you'll be welcomed with open arms.

9. Daniel T

Daniel T New Member

Hard to make money without having solid writers. All I'm trying to do. It's a lot easier to push site traffic to a new site when you have a constant stream of new pieces.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Solid writers will want money. Or at least they should.

11. Daniel T

Daniel T New Member

Not solid college writers and post-college grads. Tough market to crack, résumé is king.

12. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Yep, writing for some site run by some college kids in Ohio will certainly turn editors' heads.

Tcas22 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted