1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for jobs outside the biz while you're still in it

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by STLIrish, Oct 14, 2008.

1. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Maybe I'm DB'ing one of the many "getting out" threads, and if so, feel free to point me there.

But, I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts or experience with looking for jobs in the market where you work, possibly with organizations you cover, without compromising your ability to cover them.

In other words, I'm starting to explore jobs outside newspapers, and I have to stay in my current town. Many of the logical places I might want to work are also places/companies/groups that I, at least occasionally, write about. I don't really want the people I cover to know that I'm actively looking for another job; it could lead to messy situations. I'm also not certain I want to leave my current gig, and I don't want to flirt with potential new jobs and then stay put. But at the same time, I'm curious what's out there, and what sort of things I might be able to do. I'm just having a hard time figuring out how to start those conversations without compromising my current job.
    Any ideas?

Draft saved Draft deleted