1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for job advice

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ackou757, Oct 19, 2015.

Tags:
  1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The math doesn't pencil out.

A $10,000 pay cut at 26 won't be recouped for years if you plan to stay in print journalism (which is an uphill battle in an of itself).

YankeeFan likes this.
  2. ackou757

ackou757 New Member

@Fredrick That certainly makes sense and is part of my hesitation, but I just wonder what the odds would be to move forward in the near future with the salary I'm getting combined with my experience. I'm under a year in print journalism and feel the salary I'm getting is in part due to living in one of the most expensive places in the country. So I guess my thought was, if I'd technically be able to SAVE more money due to the standard of living being about 15k lower in this place (making up the difference in an 8-10k drop), would it be ok, considering the jump in circulation and the jump to a daily? But that's just a thought.

@Danwriter My thought as well. Thanks. My personal devil's advocate is that a daily vs weekly though may trump that for me. Plus, it's not forever and the editor there has acknowledged that already, which I liked.

@ncdeen Thanks for the input.

@KVV33 It seems like it's moved up a little, and they've also offered to cover relocation costs...which is huge for what would be a 29-hour drive. And good advice on the freelancing, thanks.

@TigerVols True, but can that all depend on where you're working? I feel like it's natural to make 8-10k less in the upper great plains than in New England. But maybe not.

Thanks again everyone. I likely have until the end of the week to make a decision. Biggest hangup is geography right now. It's a good city. A big tourist center (3mil a year). But its closest major city is a 1.5-hr flight. But maybe in today's age that doesn't matter as much.

3. Zenman

Zenman New Member

I live in flyover country, and I recommend giving this possible new job the utmost consideration, especially if it's what you want to do. The cost of living factor is huge.

I have worked in small dailies (less than 40,000 circulation) since my career began in the mid-1980s. I live about 3 hours from the Chicago area, where most members of my extended family live, and they can't believe how low of a price I was able to pay for a spacious, 3-bedroom house. My wife and I were able to pay off the mortgage on this house in less than 15 years, despite having 2 kids and taking numerous trips to Disney World, etc.

Granted, each situation is different, but you might contact a Realtor in the possible new city to find out how much you could save in rent or mortgage payments compared to your current situation.

Draft saved Draft deleted