1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for Help: Sports Books Made Into Movies

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gold, Oct 25, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Unless you want a seventh grader reading fuck and n*****r, I would look for a different book.

For non-sports...

Of Mice and Men
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    Tom Sawyer
    A Wrinkle in Time
    Holes

2. 93Devil

The Natural seems like a great pick because it shows the added characters and the changing plot/endings.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Wait, you warn about seventh-graders reading profanity/racial slurs and then you suggest ... Of Mice and Men? And To Kill a Mockingbird? Two of the most challenged books of the last half-century.

Please, tell me you're kidding. ::)

Love those books, but please tell me you were being ironical or something.

4. 93Devil

Totally different tone in the books.

I don't remember reading multiple f-bombs in Mockingbird.

I just reread Mockingbird this summer, and there is no way it's language and tone is as strong as Lights.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

My comment about books like Friday Night Lights had to do with the difficulty and length of the book for a 7th grader
    That's more of a concern than "fuck" and the "n" word, in my opinion

6. 93Devil

Oh, I think Friday Night Lights should be required reading for all high school athletes, it's just a little much for a pre-teen.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I agree that the tone (and message) is different. There's a reason those books are taught in schools, and FNL isn't.

But your reasoning is a little suspect. If you're going to cite language/profanity as a reason seventh-graders shouldn't read FNL ... ain't no way you can then throw out two of the most challenged books of the 20th century as alternatives. :D

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I think it depends on the kid --which was my original point. If you have a 12 year old who devours books, FNL shouldn't be a problem in terms of length, content, tone or language.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

solid.

10. 93Devil

Almost every cartoon and sitcom is based in Lenny and George, and the kid could argue that Harper Lee never wrote Mockingbird.

Both choices are win/win.

You know Buck, on Monday I am going to walk into a couple of schools and see if they have Mockingbird and M&M on their shelves.

You have started to make me think.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Semi-tough... that should be good for a seventh grader to explain.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

was deliverance a book or just a movie?

Draft saved Draft deleted