1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for help on international travel

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BRoth, Oct 10, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I enjoyed Cardiff and Swansea when I went to Wales on business a few years ago. But yeah, it ain't cheap. You pay for a Coke and think, that's not so bad, I only paid a dollar. And you realize, no you paid a pound, so it was two bucks a Coke -- and that wasnt' so good.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My wife and I did 10 days in London/Paris using the Chunnel to get between the two. Found the tickets online, forget what we paid but it was cheap. And what a fun ride.

I disagree that Paris sucks. We tried not to look like touristy Americans and I used my high school-level French with some success, which seemed to go a long way.

3. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

If not Europe, where would people suggest to go if you can only travel summer months and don't have thousands of dollars to spend? Anyone been to South America, or have suggestions?

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Canada.

5. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

OK, besides Canada and Mexico. I'm talking away from the North American continent.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

My sister and brother-in-law are going to Ecuador and the Galapagos in December for 10 days and I think she said she got a deal for $4500 for the two of them.

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

That's not really true. I've been to Amsterdam 4 times and never encountered a drug seller (outside of a coffee shop) once - night or day. I'm a woman and I've always felt very safe in Amsterdam, the red light district aside.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Paris is phenomenal. Don't believe the French-hate-the-Americans thing. I could live there in a heartbeat (if you'll give my daily ration of ESPN and the NYTimes).

But Europe is expensive . . . very.

9. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I was braced for the hate-Americans thing in Paris but found no sign of it. I did find the one bar with Sunday night NFL though!

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Peru- Machu Picchu

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Paris and London are both amazing cities, but as has been noted, very expensive. If you do a lot of advance planning and homework, you can find ways to economize without missing out on seeing the best of both cities. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that in London, no matter the season, hotels are VERY expensive and not up to US standards in many cases, especially on the lower end of the quality spectrum.

I completely agree with Doc, though. Your money will go a lot further during the non-tourist season.

Feel free to PM me, especially with questions about London.

12. My sister has traveled extensively — Australia, Argentina, Europe, Brazil, etc. — any maintains that her favorite vacation, BY FAR, was Vietnam. Incredible food, incredible sights, very nice people, DIRT DIRT DIRT cheap and very worth the money...

Draft saved Draft deleted