1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for headphone advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beef03, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I love SJ for the great consumer advice, so I come to y'all once again.

Looking to buy some over the ear headphones, they don't need to be noise cancelling, but the sound quality is important to me. I live in an apartment building, and like many in the business work screwed up hours, so I wind up watching a lot of movies on my laptop because I can plug in and not worry about sound levels at 2 a.m. I also, of course use them a lot for music.

Now I know I can spend in the $400 ballpark for some models, but am hoping to keep it under $200. They don't need to be cordless either.

The pair I have right now I've had for about five years or so, they are Panasonic RP-HTX7 and the ear cushion is starting to deteriorate. I quite like them, but wouldn't mind going up a level. A quick google search shows me I can replace them for well under $100.

Any thoughts on other brands like Bose or Sony? Wide open to reccomendations from any brand, no particular biases or loyalties. Sound quality, comfort and durability -- don't want to be replacing them in six months -- are kind of at the tops of the priority list.

Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks!

2. Hey Diaz!

Hey Diaz! Member

I'm a HUGE headphone fan and would 10 times out of 10 pick a nice set of cans over a pair of speakers. If you're going for sound quality, here are a few non-Beats/Bose options:

Grado SR80i
    - Incredible sounding for the price, very detailed and bright. Comfort isn't a strong suit, but it hasn't been an issue for me in the three years I've been buying Grados. They're open-eared and badly bleed sound, so they're not a good choice for an office environment. They also look kind of goofy. ;D

http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestige-Series-Stereo-Headphone/dp/B000G3LCQC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359454275&sr=8-1&keywords=grado+sr80i

Audio-Technica ATH-M50
    - Not nearly as bright sounding as the Grados, but just as detailed and extremely comfortable. They also fold up and are noise canceling.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B000ULAP4U/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1359454403&sr=1-1&keywords=audio+technica

Sennheiser HD 598
    - Senns generally have a colder, more clinical sound than the other two. While the Grados and Audio Techicas sound great straight out of an iPod/iPhone/whatever, these need an integrated amp such as a stereo receiver to reach their full potential.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-598-Headphones-Accents/dp/B0042A8CW2/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1359454627&sr=1-6&keywords=sennheiser

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Thanks Diaz, you might have sold me on the Audio-Technica ATH-M50, reviews look pretty good on them plus they look a little more durable.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Dr. Dre weeps at his exclusion.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Indeed. But he's still got the kids. Most of the high school basketball players where I live wear them

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

All excellent picks.

Sony and Bose usually have a couple of strong alternatives, though I haven't owned a good pair of studio-quality or near-studio-quality in years.

Sennheiser always seems to be criminally underrated, though. Cold sounding or otherwise, the name belongs in the rafters with the others.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Avoid this brand:

[​IMG]

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I like this thread.
    I would like to get a new pair of quality headphones.

Draft saved Draft deleted