1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for great examples of notebook stories

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bamadog, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

I have another of our reporters (she works on news usually) who I'm going to take with me to cover an unnamed NFL team. I wanted to give her some examples of what constitutes a good notebook (I'll write the gamer). Any suggested links of great past notebooks?

2. shecky

shecky Member

There is no such thing as a great notebook.

3. shecky

shecky Member

OK, I'll rephrase. There are no great notebooks off gamers. Sunday notebooks, especially Gammons', are excepted.

4. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

I think MLB notebooks are one of the most important parts of that beat.

5. insideman

insideman Member

It's true that you'll find few great notebooks, but it's my belief that notebooks are more widely-read than game stories. With TV and radio, nobody cares about a game rehash many hours after the fact, but they're drawn to the notes, where the writer has a chance to look ahead and get into behind-the-scenes stuff that the reader wouldn't ordinarily know. An enterprising reporter might top his notebook with a good mini-feat.

6. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

MLB.com does a good job with notebooks.

I like notebooks that end with something quirky, amusing and different. I've used a guy having his own iTunes celebrity playlist before. It could be a rookie hazing ritual, someone's superstition or something else that my brain hasn't thought up at this moment. It's that kind of stuff that makes the reader seem informed and by reading you, they are a little more of an "expert" on this team.

Draft saved Draft deleted