1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Looking for Calvin and Hobbes"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Author does, basically, an unauthorized biography of Bill Watterson. Not sure what to think about that. Why do we need a book about the man when he obviously doesn't want to be a public figure?

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/07/07/free-chapter-of-fort.html

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Because he is a public figure?

3. Inky_Wretch

Is he? He was reclusive during the run of Calvin & Hobbes. And he's done everything but changed his name since 1995.

4. RickStain

Does the name "Bill Watterson" ring a bell to a lot of people? He put himself out there with the comic. He wrote pretty well about himself, his life, and his views on his craft in the 10th anniversary edition.

It's not time to camp on his lawn, but I don't think interviewing people who know him is going to hurt anything.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I have long held the theory that life in general has been a little less fun without Calvin and Hobbes.

6. RickStain

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul" remains one of the great words to live by in history.

7. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I don't understand the question. The guy created a very popular work of art. Because he'd prefer to remain private, we shouldn't discuss it or find out what makes him tick?

I'm not saying harass Watterson, but why not talk to a bunch of different people who know him?

8. Inky_Wretch

I don't know. Maybe I'm in the wrong here. I freely admit that.

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

No more Captain Napalm, Captain Nitro, Hamster Huey and Gooey Kablooie, Spaceman Spiff, Galaxoid and Nebular, Stupendous Man, Susie Derkins, camping trips and short trips to the Yukon and the era of dinosaurs.

Couldn't be more right Moddy.

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

This just seems like a wholly unnecessary intrusion. It's not like he's ever been a public figure, or that his place in history demands that we know his inner workings. He's a guy who wrote a funny comic strip for a decade. Let him be.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Gotta say I agree with Arnold and Inky. Unlike most of the d-bags who wail about how they just want to be left alone yet invite attention with their actions, Watterson was so uncompromising re: his privacy that he pulled the plug on the strip (well, that and he was admirably livid with newspapers and their declining space and standards) when he could have made millions and millions just mailing it in for the next few decades.

That said, I can see why a bio of him would be an interesting one to pursue, and maybe even an interesting one to read.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Tracer Bullet might have been the greatest detective ever.

Draft saved Draft deleted