1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for advice from freelancers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thelurker, May 4, 2009.

1. thelurker

thelurker New Member

Excellent stuff, MU. Thanks.

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Welcome.
    Best of luck.

3. lono

lono Active Member

Actually, I was not being flippant.

Where people fail in freelancing is that they don't do the first three things well.

Most freelancers I know are good at doing the work.

Finding work? Some are OK, some aren't.

Getting paid? Even tougher.

I've seen plenty of freelancers fail because they get the first job and forget they need to still be looking for the next job after that. Or they starve between the 90 days they turn in the invoice and the time they get the check.

Writing is actually a much less critical skill than prospecting for work and getting hired for job after job.

Besides, if you are thinking of going the freelance route, presumably you know how to write already and have a decent degree of ability.

Having the ambition, talent, discipline and wherewithal to market yourself is something else entirely.

One other thing: You will starve trying to write for newspapers. If you mix in commercial work - brochure copy, ad agency stuff, marketing copy, etc. - you can make a good living.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's so true. The writing part of the job is almost anticlimactic. It's fine and dandy if you're working on a $1,000 magazine story, but if you don't have a half-dozen other pitches in the pipeline at the same time and more rolling around your head, you're not keeping the momentum going.

Draft saved Draft deleted