1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for a writer for baseball website

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help wanted' started by jbnut11, Oct 21, 2010.

1. jbnut11

jbnut11 New Member

I own an indoor baseball training facility and I'm looking for a freelance writer to do roughly 2 stories a month for our website. These stories would be about events, players, teams, etc. We have $30/per story in the budget. Let me know if you are interested. Thanks.

2. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Sent a PM.

3. Gator_Hawks

Gator_Hawks Member

Where is the facility?

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

$30 per story is almost slave labor. Especially since it's not a newspaper company.

5. ChrisMaza

ChrisMaza Member

That's true, but $30 is still $30 you didn't have before...The luxury to turn down money isn't always there for everyone. That said, I have to say it is a curious post...

6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

This is the problem with our business (and this isn't directed at you, Chris). With so many people out of work and looking for something, there's always someone willing to work for a price that we used to scoff at.

7. ChrisMaza

ChrisMaza Member

Very, very true.

8. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

I say back off. $30 is what the guy is willing to pay. You are free to accept or move on. He'll likely find that he's getting what he's paying.

9. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Unfortunately, I haven't heard from him after sending a PM. I think for someone working through college, this could be an nice opportunity. $60 a month, that definitely could help. It'll also get you some clips.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

If the story takes an hour to write, how is $30/hour slave labor?

Even if it takes 2 hours to write, a lot of writers out here don't make $15/hr in their full-time gigs.

Now if you have to go cover a 3-hour event and then write about it, yes it's getting ridiculous.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Plenty of newspapers pay less for people to go cover a HS football game.

12. ChrisMaza

ChrisMaza Member

Well, then they're getting fleeced.

Draft saved Draft deleted