1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for a Reilly column (I think)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sirvaliantbrown, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Thinking about Kurt Warner this week, I faintly remembered what I believe was a Reilly column from years ago - the 90s, probably - in which he took a football player who survived a car crash to task for crediting God for saving him...he asked the player why another athlete had recently died in a crash, and the player said, in effect, "I guess God didn't like him that much."

I can't find it in the SI Vault, but I'm pretty sure I'm not imagining it. Anybody know what I'm talking about? Thanks a lot.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

It was Isaac Bruce talking about Derrick Thomas. And yes, it was Reilly.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/magazine/life_of_reilly/news/2000/02/01/life_of_reilly/

3. This is why I come to this site. Thanks a lot.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

No probs. That closing line was perfect.

5. chilidog75

chilidog75 Member

I didn't click on the link, but that column always stood out to me.
    If I remember correctly, the last sentence is something along the lines of "Two men. Pray for them both."

That was when Reilly was Reilly. It's a gift to be able to write something that can resonate like that. Heck, it's been a decade now? Or close. And I still remember the column (and how he brought up the Columbine girl and Bruce's subsequent questioning --- "were you there? were you there?").

Wonder if Rick misses writing pieces like that.

6. I found that to be the perfect insertion of self into column. In his aggressive Bruce-challenging, Reilly turns himself into a proxy for us, the readers, who want to slap Bruce. The spare back-and-forth works perfectly.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I just want to mention the Miami project that Reilly talks about (the Buonicontis are a big part of it). That's the research center that's dedicating to curing paralysis, and they're the main reason Kevin Everett is walking around right now. That's one reason I'm glad Ralph Wilson made the Hall (aside from being a fellow Hoo) - he was a big supporter.

8. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Sad fall for Reilly. From that to his current shit. Really makes me sad.

A few years back, my dad got a Rick Reilly "Fans of the Game" autograph from some Donruss card product, can't remember which one. I treasured it.
    And it will be up on eBay this week.
    Sad.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

That column was outstanding. And like others on here, I remembered it clearly, including the closing line word for word, years after I first read it. It was that good.

10. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Nah. I'm sure that beer pong column last week was equally satisfying for him.

11. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

The fall has been mighty, but don't worry he ha$ a hefty cu$hion to fall on $o he doe$n't hurt him$elf. Well, 17 million cushion$ really.

12. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Boy 1: "Oh boy, I got a Dr. Z rookie card."
    Boy 2: "Man, another Jason Whitlock autograph card? That makes 10, now. I'll trade you nine for one of your Jack McCallum rookies."

Draft saved Draft deleted