1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for a job?

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by AVSE, Jun 28, 2007.

1. No apology necessary dude! I was just messing with you.

And if you read the latest post from the SE there, it appears you were well served in asking that question and I was wrong! Opening is for a sports writer and an ASE with the outdoors coverage going to either of the two. I misunderstood the way it was written. My bad. :D

2. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

A bit more about the growth of the area, courtesy of your future/prospective employer...

http://www.avpress.com/n/29/0629_s3.hts

3. eastcoast

eastcoast New Member

Mayfly, sounds like you might be from Memphis...

I've heard from a little birdie that this job is anything BUT part time. AVSE works his people 70 and 80 hours a week, paying them with just a few silver coins and some pop tarts at the end of each night.

he's a good guy, though

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Wow, eastcoast, you really make him sound to be like a good guy. 70 to 80 hours a week and you get, what I am guessing is part-time money. Sounds like a lame job to me.

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

the job may be lame, I wouldn't know for sure, but the SE is good people.

6. eastcoast

eastcoast New Member

sarcasm my man. sarcasm.

7. AVSE

AVSE Member

a few things for the record...

the only member of my sports department who's ever worked 70 hours in a week is me

I have very little to do with the payola, but I do try to get my employees every penny I can

the pop tarts are true

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Sorry. It flew right by me.

9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

As an alum of said publication, I can vouch for this. The only times I worked 70-hour weeks were the times I was covering golf majors -- three of which I did for said publication.

I did pull an all-nighter once, because I had a UCLA football game to cover and a 110-inch centerpiece for our football tab to finish.

10. eastcoast

eastcoast New Member

110-inch center piece for football preview???? I bet the prep writers over there haven't heard ANYTHING about this. Guess AVSE is writing that bomber.

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

You probably won't be writing any of those.

This was for the "Century of Football in the Valley" tab. It was a history of football in the region, dating to 1916, when the oldest HS started a team. My boss at the time asked me a rough estimate of how long it would be and turned me loose. About 60" in, I told him I was about halfway done.

He said, "Keep writing. We'll get it in." And he did.

Draft saved Draft deleted