1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for a job?

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by AVSE, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Doesn't have the Amish though.

2. Boognish

Boognish Member

<----- My man Frank says there used to be a lot of turkey farmers out Palmdale way. Wonder if there still are?

3. boots

boots New Member

I'm glad that you learned something, it just shows that you're not as old as you look or feel. It's a good paper.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Oh I'm old as I look and not as old as I feel. But I can still learn a few things.
    Also a Lancaster in Ohio is there not?

5. boots

boots New Member

Yes and I believe there are a couple of others.

6. Moderator1

Well there's one more than I knew about this a.m., that's for sure.

7. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I applied for a job here a while ago back in February for an open position. It turned out to be a part-time writing position where I would only get 25 hours a week or so. The pay was going to force me to live under a palm tree and it was not feasible for me to move across the country for that low pay. This job seems full-time so maybe the pay would be better and then the living conditions would not be as I expected. The editor seems friendly, so that is a plus.

8. Moderator1

You can go to Lancaster PA or OH a lot cheaper.
    Of course, they may not have a job open. Or even papers.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

From what I remember of Lancaster, Ohio, there isn't much of anything. But it's been 25 years...

10. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I heard at the Lancaster Times in PA, Guttenberg will be your editor.

11. AVSE

AVSE Member

two quick things... we don't have part-timers on my staff,s o Mayfly was confused. And in the case of the jobs, my ASE also does my outdoors stuff, but that doesn't have to be the case. I have an ASE opening and a writer opening. the writing would be mostly preps, but would include the outdoors beat if that's your thing. Otherwise maybe the AE gets off the desk a couple times a week by doing the outdoors gig. But in neither case is anything part-time.

12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

The two cities comprise the hub of the Antelope Valley (hence the name of the paper). Both have growing populations of about 150,000 people each and rabid home construction, although -- speaking from the experience of someone who was lucky to sell his house five months ago -- the housing market isn't what it was two years ago or even 18 months ago.

This -- along with the (relatively) cheap housing -- has done a number on the crime rate up here, as Section 8 people are moving up here in droves to take advantage of living in a four-bedroom, three-bath home on a cul-de-sac that they couldn't touch down below.

For what you'll make there, you won't have to live under a palm tree, but unfortunately it won't be enough to buy you the average house. Once upon a time, you could, but unless you're coming in with some money or a working spouse, not anymore.

Your office is in Palmdale, the better-run of the two communities. And Robert and Co. have done a decent job of late. Each day, they feature a page devoted to a different sport and their outdoors page has showcased some interesting stories.

Draft saved Draft deleted