1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for a job?

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by AVSE, Jun 28, 2007.

1. AVSE

AVSE Member

An ad won't be posted for a few days, but I was just told that my ASE and Outdoors writer will be leaving at the end of July. If you know anyone who wants to work in Southern California, please contact me. The Antelope Valley Press is a 30k daily in north LA county. Unlike a lot of papers, we're family owned, which means we don't pay the greatest, but it also means I haven't had a staff reduction. I'm looking for two people ASAP. email rjohnson@avpress.com for more info.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Are you looking for an ASE and an outdoors writer or an ASE/outdoors writer and another spot?

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

Heavy churn in Palmdale, which also is one of the leading foreclosure regions in the country. Good chance to see windy minor-league baseball and accidents on the non-freeway freeway east of town.

4. It's pretty clear he is looking to fill two separate positions -- an Assistant Sports Editor and an Outdoors Writer. Don't make it more complicated than it has to be.

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

As an alum and a resident of the "leading foreclosure regions in the country," I've posted many times on life here. So time and tedium will preclude me from doing so again.

There are far worse places to live and far worse papers to work for, which many of you know from personal experience. And Robert's a good guy who worked his way up through some turbulent times in that department.

And Edit, they're finally widening the 138 in both directions. Work in progress, but it will make your non-freeway freeway a lot safer.

6. Bird, just curious since this was brought up and you didn't expand on it. Would you give me some insight into life and cost of living in that region. I've almost gone to Cali a couple times but the cost of living makes it impossible for me.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Sorry Huckleberry, but at some shops the ASE is the Outdoors writer, that's why I asked for a clarification.

8. boots

boots New Member

Antelope Valley in Lancaster may be consider an outpost to some but it's a nice area to learn the craft. It gets the coveted boots sign of approval.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Lancaster? Pa?
    Isn't this job in California?

10. boots

boots New Member

Lancaster Calfornia smart guy. Look it up. I'm sure you 're doing that as you read this.

11. boots

boots New Member

Lancaster and Palmdale, which is the paper's mailing address, is about 8 miles apart.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

is/are/whatever - I'm just glad to have learned something from this dangerous site today. Did not know California had a Lancaster.
    Hell, I can go home now! Usually don't learn much before 6.

Draft saved Draft deleted