1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for a job

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by creaven, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

You actually need to do more than just check the job sites. By the time a job gets posted on jjobs or one of the others, there could be 500 resumes on the SE's desk.

That's not saying don't check those sites. Moreso, in addition to checking those sites, you need to network and talk to people

2. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Ah yes, networking.

It's much better when the sports editor at the rag where you interned tells you they don't want you rather then hearing it from a sports editor you've never met.

:)
    I kid.

Networking is essential.
    Now finding good contacts, that's where the fun begins.

3. I think y'all scared Mr. Creaven away.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

newbie, what do you know about trends and why do you care?

5. Money007

Money007 Guest

Here's a trend: you seem to have a problem with younger journalists (or newbies) for some reason. Perhaps it is jealousy or perhaps it is animal lust. I'll let the audience decide.
    Here's another trend: you posted 30 times on April 17 and 47 times on April 16, leading me to believe you are either out of work or very bad at your job because no sports journalist that truly earns his pay has that much free time on his hands.

And why do I care? Because I am a newbie (gasp!) looking for a new job, and I'd rather not have to hack through other newbies' resumes and cover letters to get to the real job postings and the info about them. I think newbies and oldies alike would agree with that.

In addition, you are nothing more than a junior member. Were you a full member or someone worth a damn, your misguided hostility would have some merit. But for all I know, you have one, maybe two, more years worth of experience than me. So with that in mind, get me a beer, Petty.

6. May God have mercy on your soul, little newbie.

By the way, I agree that your number of posts doesn't necessary make you wiser but in your case it definitely would have been wise to get a few more posts under your belt before you start talking the smack ...

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

actually twatwaffle, i'm an se who prefers to hire experienced writers over snot-nosed punks such as yourself who think they have the answers for every question in life, yet are either too inexperienced, or stupid to find the obvious truth.

case in point: i notice you were trolling my profile and tallying daily totals. you say i posted 47 times on april 16. once again, good for you johnny. nice work there tiger, but, just like many other snot-nose fucks, you went after the obvious -- and the easiest -- fact while doing your research and came to a rather faulty, or, if i may, ignorant conclusion ... a habit i'm sure that would show in your work.

so, you conclude, i'm either unemployed or "very bad at your job because no sports journalist that truly earns his pay has that much free time on his hands." son, with insticts like that, get the fuck out of the business right now because you really do suck. you MIGHT have noticed while counting posts, that all posts are time stamped. if you go back and look at 100 percent of my posts, you'd be able to deduct i have a posting pattern ... and here, rookie, let me explain that to you: i post at almost the same times every night and during the day twice a week. those facts -- something you don't really find a need to discover -- should lead any good newsman to believe that yes, i do have a job and that no, i don't post while i work ... i only post at home. not only am i too busy at work to surf the fucking web, i also have a work ethic, bitch.

also, your final paragraph has three factual -- is it stupidity or laziness? -- errors. 1. how long i've posted here: one, two maybe more years? ... while you were trolling my profile, you should have noticed a little fact-inducing tibit known as "date registered" information. (missed that one, too, skippy.) 2. once again, being a snot-nosed fucking punk, you believe junior members fetch beers around here. wrong again. 3. just because you're a full member, it doesn't mean you're worth a damn. see boots ... but then again, you'd have known that fact if you'd spent a little time learning a few things around here before throwing out your silly-assed expertise for me to laugh at.

the funny part of this is, you'll probably never be able to land a job or keep one. hell, you can't even support your OWN point with facts directly under your nose. why in the hell would an se believe you could do any better of a job telling joey bumblefuck's story down at tiny podunk high?

and, maybe your young friends should thank you for proving your stupidity and reinforcing my ongoing desire to always hire experience over ignorance. if this really is you attempting to find yourself a job, then by god, you're doing great work. keep it up skip.

8. I see you found the thread, TP.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

You Need to Know, "Money" . . . Don't Do petty Like That.

Petty doesn't care if yo're some newbie who's just Learning to Fly.

He Won't Back Down. Even the Losers know this by now.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

two points:

i almost went "awww" when newbie said "because no sports journalist that truly earns his pay ..." i mean my god it's so cute that the little fucker who never worked in the profession, or has very little experience, would know what earning a day's pay was all about. heart-warming, actually.

and, anything pyramid will be fine, bitch.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm glad to know some shitheaded kid thinks those of us that post a lot don't earn our pay (well, BYH doesn't, but that's another story). Course he probably thinks that desking is easy too. Turd blossom.

12. Welcome to the board, Money.

Draft saved Draft deleted