1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for a job

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by creaven, Apr 15, 2007.

1. creaven

creaven New Member

(I originally posted this on the "Anything Goes" thread, but I was encouraged to post it here too.)

My name is Patrick Creaven and I'm the sports editor at the Daily Forty-Niner, the campus newspaper at Long Beach State. I know this is a shot in the dark, but I am trying to find a sports journalism job (I'm graduating in six weeks) and this seems like the best place to communicate with as many people as possible in the profession. I feel uncomfortable hyping myself up, but I guess that's how people get jobs so here it goes.

I have been involved in sports journalism since I was 17 years old, when I worked for The Vallejo Times-Herald (which is in the Bay Area), where I covered high school sports. I continued to cover high school sports when I went to college at CSULB, interning and freelancing for the Daily Breeze in Torrance. Then, in my last year here at CSULB, I became sports editor of the Daily Forty-Niner. I took over a poorly run section and through leadership, hard work and new ideas never seen before in the paper, I turned it into possibly the best section the Daily Forty-Niner has to offer.

Here is a link to all the stories I have written for the paper this school year: http://www.daily49er.com/user/index.cfm?event=displayAuthorProfile&prefix=pcreaven

Overall, I think I could be a huge asset for any media organization, large or small. I have covered everything from high school girls water polo to men's college basketball to Major League Soccer. I have a passion for journalism and I love to report and write. People who know me can tell you about my work ethic and my desire to be the best journalist I can possibly be.

I would be happy to send a resume to anyone that might be interested in giving me a chance.

Sincerely,
    Patrick Creaven
    creaven26@hotmail.com

2. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

And here's the pitch to Albert Pujols...

It's a hanging curveball...

3. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

you're hired?

4. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I was hoping for something more hard hitting, but that works

5. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

ok... you're hired!

6. creaven

creaven New Member

looks like the "Anything Goes" people have set me up :).

7. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Welcome to SJ kid. We're all in the same boat.

8. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

on a serious note, don't expect employers to go to you. go to them. figure out where you want to do and go for it.

9. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Yeah, we really don't have the New York Times waiting in a thread here.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

This is really on the wrong board as well. This should be kept for SPECIFIC job openings.

11. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

So essentially, what we're saying is that you managed to do just about everything you could possibly do wrong.

And also, fetch me a beer.

12. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Make it two ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted