1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for a job

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by creaven, Apr 15, 2007.

1. creaven

creaven New Member

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Welcome, patrick.

best to get this moved to the jobs board.

And, for what it's worth, those who would release the hounds: Patrick Creaven is a good kid. An absolute grinder, in the good, old-school way.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Hey, fellow Long Beach journo. I miss the hometown.

I'm trying to hire an army of worker bees, but they'd only be interns for the time being. But there's plenty to write, and you could use the time to also look for a full-time gig. I'll pay $50/story. The incentive is to write as many stories as you can in a week. There's relatively cheap lodging in my building. Think about it and PM if you want more info.

Good luck.

Oh, did you check at the P-T?

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

As Piotr said, the Jobs Board is a good place to start.
    That said, sounds like you did the right thing through school getting bylines.

5. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Well, just take all the fun out of it, why don't you?

6. Piotr Rasputin

Well . . . .I think his pitch is different than the usual youngster with a sense of entitlement. Instead, I can smell his hopeful desperation, and I recognize it as the same feeling than many of us had when we were about to finish college. So I empathize much more than usual.

And as I said . . . I know for a fact that kid does bust tail, especially for attending a Big West school whose biggest sports are baseball and women's volleyball.

7. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Well, I was kidding, of course. I actually passed up the first chance at a crack because there are way too many tired jokes and cliches around here, and that's one of them.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Indeed, I took your message in the humorous spirit in which it was offered. And new twists on that joke are always welcome . . . I love the wordless pictures of a large group of dogs.

And I'll always be a fan of "thanks for stopping by . . ."

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Long Beach State women's hoops hasn't been the same since Cindy Brown and Penny Toler. Played Georgia in the '89 Final 4 and lost. That was a damn good team.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'll do the bad jokes

You're Hired!

Release the hounds!

This won't end well.

Now that we've got that out of the way. A few words of advice: Check the jobs board here, get your stuff in front people as soon as possible and keep track of which jobs you've applied for. If possible, stay away from JRC, CNHI and Hagadone. Nothing will burn you out quite like working for one of those companies. I've worked for two of them, trust me on this.

11. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

12. unwitty

unwitty Member

i don't see this ending well. i don't know why. ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted