1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for a Blogger - College Football

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help wanted' started by PIGSKINU, Dec 28, 2010.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

May have been a better career choice than journalism!

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The first part was a compliment. The "that doesn't matter" comeback is over the line.

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

But that's what people do, advocate for what they want without considering if that's the best thing for all involved. Everyone is myopic to a degree. Her role is to push for more coverage of her kids. Our role (or more accurately, y'all's role) is to balance her wants and perceived needs against those of hundreds of others, including your own. Doesn't mean she should be told to shut up, though.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If someone out in public discounted my reasons for changing jobs, it crosses a line. The woman should mind her own business once she got her answer.

I don't care, though. I'll be out of the biz as a full-time sports journalist soon enough.

5. BigEast24

BigEast24 New Member

Sad part is, journalism is hardly the only field that's got a multitude of people "working" for free. Sign of the times here.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

What other fields? Brain surgery? Mail delivery? Auto repair? There's "working for free" as in unpaid overtime or whatnot, and then there's working for nada, zip, zilch. That's what this is. Maybe I'm being naive but I don't think it's a sign of the times, I think it's a sign of stupidity to give away your intellectual capital for no return. And don't tell me "exposure" and "experience" spends like cash.

Rant over.

7. BigEast24

BigEast24 New Member

Let's see... journalism, graphic design, pr, legal/paralegal, the entertainment biz would be naming a few. Yep, there are plenty of folks offering their services for free in America. And it's getting competitive to even get some of said gigs. Unfortunate and mildly insulting, but true nonetheless.

8. Schottey

Schottey Guest

I know that there are plenty of stories to the contrary, but during college, I started working gratis for two sites. One of those sites now pays me full-time, the other was paying me a stipend and increased that to a percentage of total profit.

I'm not saying everyone is going to have that exact opportunity, but sometimes (especially for us young kids) getting in on the ground floor of something is a good idea.

The best advice is to feel these things out and get out once you realize you're being used or the company isn't going anywhere.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Journalism? All the papers I worked for always paid interns and everyone else. Even if the pay was crap. Also, bleacher report is not journalism.

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

A friend's son has a PhD and has taught a semester at a university for no pay because he can't find work.

Draft saved Draft deleted