1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking at this from an economic perspective....incredible.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Jul 18, 2010.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Govt-watchdog-criticizes-apf-1340422936.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=1&asset=&ccode=

Just plain ignorant, it seems, if no one knew that before hand.

2. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

if the cars are worth buying in the first place, this wouldn't have been necessary...

i always think of this dealership near bethel, nc. it was new and out in the middle of nowhere (like bethel, nc is). but, when it went out of business, either by the final nail in the coffin by the govt or by basic economics, they were able to leave the electronic sign on for months afterwards with the message "Obama, where's out buyout?"

i always wondered...why open a car dealership in the middle of nowhere? where was the bank on that business plan?

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

You forget that the cars were worth buying but they couldn't sell them because no one had access to credit because the banking industry shit the bed.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

"Obama administration officials said they strongly disagreed with the findings and said the audit focused solely on one element of a painful restructuring. Without the shared sacrifices of workers, dealers, retirees, suppliers and creditors, they said, the companies may not have rebounded."

The companies have rebounded?

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Ford is in the midst of a rebound. And car buying has generally been up. Argue all you want about why that may be, but the fact is people have bought cars recently.

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Except I don't think Ford never took the bailout. The quote is about GM and Chrysler specifically. To be honest I am specifically questioning the thought that Chrysler has really rebounded.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The article does not seem to support your thread heading.

Personally I believe in a free market economy companies should go out of business rather than being kept on life support.

Maybe they should apply this same study to our National security agencies:

The investigation's other findings include:

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/top-secret-america/articles/a-hidden-world-growing-beyond-control/

* Some 1,271 government organizations and 1,931 private companies work on programs related to counterterrorism, homeland security and intelligence in about 10,000 locations across the United States.

* An estimated 854,000 people, nearly 1.5 times as many people as live in Washington, D.C., hold top-secret security clearances.

* In Washington and the surrounding area, 33 building complexes for top-secret intelligence work are under construction or have been built since September 2001. Together they occupy the equivalent of almost three Pentagons or 22 U.S. Capitol buildings - about 17 million square feet of space.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link, Yawn.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Ford did not take part in the bailout.

Reporting at the time indicated they were on track to come out of the downturn as the strongest of the Big 3 because they didn't take part.

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

That's bullshit. The "credit crunch" didn't stop people with good credit from buying cars. The credit crunch that was on the news on a daily basis pertained to banks and the overnight lending capacity that was diminished because the assets leveraged dropped in value.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

But surely the existence of a bailout helped Ford in some ways. It probably hurt them in that a competitor would have otherwise been wiped out, but it would have helped them as well. Car buyers could, for example, be assured that the government would step in if ever Ford were to get in trouble.

And frankly, I'm pretty sure that the government should have been ignoring whatever Chrysler and GM suggested. To allow them to come up with their own survival plan seems a bit like allowing the captain of a sunken ship to build his own lifeboat.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Ford proved you don't need a government handout in order to survive. So no, I don't see how the government can take credit for that.

Draft saved Draft deleted