1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lookin' spiffy at work

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Clever username, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

So I had a funeral to go this morning and naturally wore a shirt and a tie. Since I spent an hour ironing the shirt and the wool dress pants and was only at the funeral for an hour or so, I decided I wasn't going to change when I went to work. If nothing else I thought it would be funny for the people who are used to me wearing jeans. Weird thing is, though, other than wasting some time on here throughout, I've felt immensely more professional and have been a lot more productive. I'd be tempted to dress this way everyday if I had the resources to buy more of these kinds of clothes.

Anyone else experienced this?

2. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Yeah.

I went from being a sportswriter who wore jeans, white tennis shoes and a sport coat to a regular reporter who wears a shirt and tie everyday (sleeves rolled up so it looks like I'm ready to get dirty).

It does make one feel more professional, whatever.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I have the same attitude no matter how I dress, but I like nice clothes and am a bit of a clotheshorse. The paper before this one outlawed ties and made dress-casual mandatory in the office. It broke my heart.

It really isn't that expensive to acquire good clothes if you are a good shopper. I wear $295 shoes that cost me $90 a pair, which is about what you'd pay regular price for plastic-looking dress shoes that would fall apart in a year.

4. Gob Bluth

Gob Bluth Member

Whenever I dress up I get people cracking jokes that I am interviewing for a new job. I like to dress up from time to time, but couldn't do it every day.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Had a boss who made us wear shirt and ties every day. He was a cocksucker. It didn't mean shit, and he sure as hell wasn't paying me enough to buy those kind of clothes. But then again he was a career minor leaguer who thought he had big league stuff.

But on the other hand if it means you do your job better, then go for it.

6. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Well, I'm quite full of myself, so when I feel that I look good it only makes it worse and the confidence rises. Whatever works, I guess.

7. WSKY

WSKY Member

If you wear a shirt that doesn't have stain on it where I'm at it's considered dressing up. A button-up shirt is equivalent to a tie ...

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

But don't wear really, really nice pants -- especially wool -- to sit on an office chair all day. Those chairs will chew 'em up.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Ah, the dreaded shiny hiney. A few points:

Really good wool is less prone to this than cheap wool.

Some places -- Brooks Brothers and J.Press come to mind -- will give you the option to buy an extra pair of trousers with the suit jacket, knowing that the trousers will wear out faster than the jacket.

You can add to the longevity of wool clothing by buying a steamer and cleaning it yourself instead of sending it to the dry cleaner.

If you have a shiny spot, you can fix it this way, although eventually this will stop working: Dampen a clean, lint-free cloth with distilled white vinegar. Gently brush the shiny spot. The vinegar relaxes the crushed wool fibers and raises their texture.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I've never worked anywhere where there were a lot of sports people dressed up. I would feel uncomfortable if I wore a tie.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

everyone should dress in whatever fashion is most productive for them. as long as it's an individual choice, i'm good with it.

but if i'm not most comfortable in a shirt and tie, why would any boss want me to play dress up? ??? ??? ???

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Frank, what kind of shoes do you wear. I'm in the market for new brown pair and would gladly pay $90 for something that would last.

Clever, my best tip if you're looking to improve your wardrobe is to check the Web sites of some nice men's stores. Sometimes they have awesome deals. Last month I bought a $900 Joseph A. Bank suit for $185. Also, check out Kohl's. They usually have good deals on sport coats, sweaters, slacks and such.

Draft saved Draft deleted