1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Look Who's Back

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Wendell Barnhouse, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Greetings, all. Previously known as Sock Puppet on SJ.com, I’m returning as myself. After leaving Fort Worth Star-Telegram in summer of 2008, was let go by Big 12 Conference in October 2015. Spent the next four years freelancing. Been fully retired for over a year. More attuned to what’s going on in our country politically than sports journalism. My angry old man act on Twitter will likely appear here, but interactions with SJ.com members will not include personal attacks. Happy to engage in discussions about the biz (what’s left of it) and help young writers with advice on writing and their stories. My 40 years of experience qualifies as “old school” and might not apply today, but I’m willing to help and share.

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Welcome back. I post under my own name, too. I had 44 years in the biz. Retired in June 2014.

3. Sportswriters in their 60s at this time either retire or are forced to retire (buyouts).

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Younger than that.

Wendell Barnhouse likes this.
  5. Huzzah!

(Is that old-school enough?)

Welcome back.

Wendell Barnhouse likes this.
  6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Make sure you talk to Frederick.

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Glad you survived that icy pileup in your hometown. That shiz was nuts.

8. Actually, despite working for the FWST, have lived in Dallas since getting married in 1988.
    Grew up in Midwest so I know something about winter driving. As folks in cities like Atlanta and Dallas can tell you, the Sun Belt drivers are clueless. Have no idea about what's ice and what's just wet. They drive fast, think they see ice, slam on brakes; if there is ice, like what happened today in FW, it's bumper car time. (Also, in Texas, it seems like the concrete used for the roads gets slicker when it rains, so precip is always dangerous.) But living here since 1981, I've always chuckled at the mass hysteria created by winter conditions. My first winter in Dallas, they closed schools one day BECAUSE IT WAS TOO COLD. No sleet, no ice, no show. Completely dry roads. But there was concern too many kids didn't have winter coats.
    Thanks for attending my Weather Ted Talk.

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

That’s me. It’s coming soon.

SportsGuyBCK likes this.
  10. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

I'm closing on that big 6-0 as well, but I have no intentions of retiring ... the tropical weather here is keeping me going ... :D

11. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

It's me, a big Wendell Barnhouse fan. Can confirm he's one of the nicest folks I've come across in the Dallas-Fort Worth market.

Flip Wilson likes this.
  12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

You’re in a great spot.

Draft saved Draft deleted