1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Look What Selena Roberts Found: A Million Dollars

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riptide, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

The Sportswriter Who Left Her Job
    After Finding A Million Dollars

From DEADSPIN

Here's what happened: In September 2010, about a year before Roberts would leave Sports Illustrated, her mother, Robbie Elizabeth Roberts, died. Roberts began cleaning up her mother's modest house in Arizona a few hours later. ...

While combing through her mom's possessions, Roberts found a strange-looking booklet. She had never seen it before. On the cover, it read: "IN CASE OF EMERGENCY. FOR SELENA AND SHAWN." (Shawn is Roberts's brother.)

Inside she found millions of dollars. Not literally—"stocks and bonds, and some real estate," according to Roberts. "She made some good decisions I wasn't aware of," she said, laughing.

How much money was it, exactly? I'd heard it was several million dollars. Roberts wouldn't say. "It was seven figures, yeah," she said. ...

The unexpected inheritance spelled the end of Selena Roberts, the working writer. Enter: Selena Roberts, businesswoman and entrepreneur. She has her own website: Roopstigo.com, named for her deceased golden retriever, Roops. She calls herself founder and chief executive officer.

http://deadsp.in/18jU2B9

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Um, not-change-your-life money? Seriously?

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Now she won't have to walk to the store.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You figure with that cash she could have bought a better domain name. Her dog? Seriously? That's what you name your blog about your latest knitting or wood working projects, not a journalism site.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

In fairness, I think the site is named after the founder's dog, not Selena's.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That "would" thing drives me freaking berserk.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The post says Selena is the founder.

She calls herself founder and chief executive officer.

8. Riptide

The dog's name was Roops. What's the "tigo" part mean?

Strange name for a sports site, no matter how you look at it. BRANDING!

9. Riptide

Agree. It's the mark of a fanboi writer.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

How?

11. Riptide

It's like he grew up watching NFL Films and mimics John Facenda for dramatic effect. That's my analogy, at least. Hate it in print. It roadblocks me every time I see it.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I don't see where the "fanboi" aspect comes into play. It's incorrect. It's the mark of a wordy writer.

Draft saved Draft deleted