1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

look out, lebron, andrew wiggins will soon be coming....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If by "probably isn't" you mean "doesn't have a hope in hell", I agree.

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I think probably not is the right answer. Depends on how quick these guys can come together. I think the more realistic return to the Olympics is 2020

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That's not true at all.

Canada still will be very young in 2015, but a top-two finish in the FIBA Americas tournament would ensure them a spot and certainly seems more likely now than ever. Argentina and Brazil are old, and Canada will have more talent than the other teams. Even if one of those two plus defending champion Mexico perform better, Canada would have to bomb pretty hard not to be among the final five. That would get them a spot in the 2016 qualifier tournament.

Now, by the summer of 2016, guys like Cory Joseph, Tristan Thompson and Andrew Nicholson will be NBA veterans. Anthony Bennett and Kelly Olynyk will be experienced. Even Andrew Wiggins will have two years in the NBA under his belt, by which point the expectation is he'll be a top 20 player. Syracuse guard Tyler Ennis may still be in college, but that wouldn't prohibit him from competing.

A lineup of Joseph, Andy Rautins, Wiggins, Bennett and Olynyk with Thompson, Ennis, Nicholson, Myck Kabongo, Kris Joseph and Brady Heslip coming off the bench certainly would be expected to make a run in the qualifying tournament. Keep in mind that the top three finishers make it. Things don't always come together as planned, but I would say it's at least 50-50 for Canada at this point.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

OK, I'll buy that.

Paul George is an interesting comparison, and maybe a damn good one. However, I'd say likely a "rich man's" Paul George, considering that George was rated nowhere close to where Wiggins is now when he was 18 years old. But, as to player "type", yeah I guess I can kinda see that.

But the truth is I haven't seen enough of Wiggins yet to have a fully formed opinion. And I bet most opining here haven't either. All I know is what I have seen kept bringing Nique to my mind. But, who knows, maybe he'll end up being more like George or Pippen. Should be fun watching and figuring out the next few years.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'm a geek. I sought out games and film last season. I'm very excited.

If memory serves, Huntington was nationally televised at least three times.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

He just came.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Can I point out again that if not for injury my draft prediction on the first page would have been spot on. :)

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I think you just did.

Draft saved Draft deleted