1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

look out, lebron, andrew wiggins will soon be coming....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Oct 10, 2013.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

it's easy to think sports illustrated's cover boy, built up to be the next big thang at kansas in the footsteps of WILT and danny manning, is a victim of overhype considering he has yet to play a game. but this highlight reel has me quite charge up to see the 6-8 phenom in action/

yes, i understand how a bunch of clips can make any slapdick look good but this one leaves me agape: http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=andrew+wiggins&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=5F825666608C1B2A328F5F825666608C1B2A328F
    i mean, holy effin' moley....

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I think the best comparison for Wiggins is Dominique Wilkins. People keep throwing Lebron's name out there when discussing him, but he's not really the same kind of player, doesn't have anywhere near the court sense, playmaking and passing instincts that Lebron did. From what I've seen, he reminds me most a of young Nique.

And, yes, his athletic gifts are just obscene. As quick and explosive a leaper as any prospect his size has ever been.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I think this is right on. Somebody called him the best high school player since LeBron and people somehow took that to mean he played like LeBron or was as good, which is not what was said.

4. Jake_Taylor

And allow me to make a prediction you should completely dismiss because I'm in total homer mode right now:

A Kansas player will be the first pick in the draft, but it might not be Wiggins. Keep an eye out for 7-footer Joel Embiid. He's a little raw right now, but like Wiggins has incredible physical gifts. I could see him dominating by March.

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Most shocking thing about this thread - people use Bing?

6. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Felipe Lopez doesn't get what the hype is all about.

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

That was my first thought too.

But as a Canadian, I'm just excited what this may mean for Canadian basketball, especially internationally. Hell of a group forming right now with Wiggins, Tristan Thompson, Anthony Bennett, Kelly Olynyk and Andrew Nicholson, and then there are supposed to be more coming up in the NCAA and high school ranks. Definitely a golden era for Canadian basketball. We may even one day make the Olympics again.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Since he's Canadian, if he scores four baskets he is going to hold his cock out, stroking it.

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Then we'll find out who really is Jumbo . . .

10. Jake_Taylor

Canada should make Nash a player/coach in 2016, let him play with and lead all those young guns and go out that way.

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

That would be awesome, but I believe he is already the general manager of the senior men's team. He is too brittle to play international basketball anymore. Hasn't since he led Canada on a run at I think it was Sidney. Every time Oly qualifying comes up there's a push to get Nash out and he always says no, he's saving himself for the rigours of the nba season, which he has a hard enough time staying healthy for.

12. Jake_Taylor

Yeah, I was thinking by 2016 he'd be retired from the NBA, but no so far removed he couldn't play a few minutes a game in international play.

Draft saved Draft deleted