1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Longtime Q-C sportswriter passes away after covering game

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by D-3 Fan, Oct 24, 2009.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I felt it was appropriate to put it here, as this is a journalism topic.

Long-time Quad Cities sports reporter and writer Dearrel Bates, passed away early Saturday morning after covering the annual rivalry game between Bettendorf and Davenport Assumption. Bates had worked for the Times for 40 years, until retiring in 2006, but continued to cover stories and games for the Times.

http://www.qctimes.com/news/local/article_8a0374da-c0b4-11de-9447-001cc4c002e0.html

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I had heard this earlier in the day, and it shocked and saddened me.

D.B., as everyone knew him, was a great guy who always took time to be friendly to people he met ... such as a stringer who was in over his head shortly after he moved to the Quad-Cities area.

Dearrel was a first-class guy, and my thoughts and prayers are with his family tonight.

3. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Incredibly sad day.

I've known Dearrel for almost 20 years. A great journalist, an even better person. Always helpful, always great to be around.

RIP, DB. You will be missed.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Very sad. RIP.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

As Iowa celebrates its big win over MSU tonight, the entire state should also mourn the passing of a legend. RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted