1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Longtime MLB employee: Baseball 'dying' is a 'tired, misinformed' statement

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I have felt for a while that they need to experiment with the way the game is broadcast, particularly the dominance of the center-field camera angle. We all understand that the pitcher-batter battle is at the heart of the sport, but the rise in strikeouts and the length between pitches nowadays have made it almost interminable for casual fans to watch.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

NHL is far better and depending on your seats so is the NBA.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

bigpern, you may have a point about NHL games. It's been so long since I went to one (at least 20 years ago), I couldn't say for sure. Plus, we don't have an NHL team within 400 miles of where we live.

EDIT: OK, 300 miles if you have passports ... :)

bigpern23 likes this.
  4. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

1987 - Last day (a Saturday afternoon, Game 6) World Series game
    Would ratings be ANY LOWER if they tried it on a weekend afternoon again?

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Perhaps.

The game's problems, though, boil down to: Too much time between pitches. Not enough balls put in play.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Everybody should love the Royals then, they never walk or strikeout.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Baseball may not be action-packed, but it is the most enjoyable sport to watch and BS with friends. Can't do that so much in football/basketball.

I also think you connect more with he players. You can see them, they have different stances at the plate, look different from one another. In football and basketball they are all similar sizes and shapes.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Hockey is definitely better in person.

The NBA is as well. You really get a sense for the size of these guys in reality much better in person than on TV.

Have been to two different NCAA schools for college football games this year and the number and length of timeouts for teevee is almost mind numbing.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

So you're saying that the players all look different in the sport with the fewest black Americans, while the players in the sports heavily dominated by blacks "all look alike," huh?
    [​IMG]

:D

Ace likes this.
  10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Having a winning team helps. After watching nearly every Royals game this season on TV, I know about the players, slumps, a little about their lives, etc.

Yet if KC would have gone 72-90 last year and followed that with 75-87 this year, I wouldn't care.

MLB is a sport where you can leave after 6 innings and likely be okay missing the ending of a tight game. No one leaves college football, NFL or NBA midway through the third to beat traffic.

What I've enjoyed seeing - 3:30 pm playoff games, 5:30 playoff games. These are huge as younger people may actually watch them, assuming they can find the channel.

Draft saved Draft deleted