1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Longtime Mariners PBP Dave Niehaus dies at 75

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D-3 Fan, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

At www.kenlevine.blogspot.com (not a link, can't do at work), the blog of comedy writer and baseball announcer Ken Levine, there is a wonderful loving tribute to Niehaus which any of Dave's fans should read.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Here's a great profile of him that Les Carpenter wrote back in the day...

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20030601&slug=niehaus01

3. Gues#t

Gues#t Guest

Bumped, just to get Dave away from the vicinity of the worst announcers thread. Even though he confused a cat with a squirrel in his latter years, he doesn't belong anywhere near those guys.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Figure they'll bump Rick Rizz up - he's a good announcer and had the misfortune of trying to replace Ernie Harwell in Detroit. There aren't any more Niehauses out there anyway.

The best tribute to him is that he made Mariners baseball tolerable.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

FSN is devoting about three hours of programming to him tonight. Got elected to the HOF on his 73rd birthday, and had never been to Cooperstown until later that year for ceremonies associated with his induction.

6. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

Seattle? Dave Kneehouse? Enough with all of this gibberish.

Are the Yankees going to sign Jeter? Are they going to get Lee?

If anyone doesn't get my above statement, I'll clarify it for you.

How much mainstream coverage has the passing of this legendary broadcaster received?

7. Gues#t

Gues#t Guest

Before my old pappy died, he was the best in his business in the U.S.--maybe the entire world, but I couldn't vouch for that. Others in his business knew it, and his friends loved and respected him and showed up when his life was over to tell his family so. That seemed to be enough at the time.

People in Seattle are turning out in droves to honor Dave Niehaus. They know that he won't be replaced by his equal, much less someone better. Those he touched, just with his voice, appreciate him. You can't expect some guy in Brooklyn to share that feeling. And, Seattle being where it is, not to mention the recent failings of its sports franchises, I don't know how one could expect the national media to make a hooroar over Dave Niehaus now that he's gone. They certainly didn't when he made the Hall.

Right guy, wrong market (for national publicity). Out this way, the fans are just glad he chose to stay here.

Draft saved Draft deleted