1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Longtime Mariners PBP Dave Niehaus dies at 75

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D-3 Fan, Nov 10, 2010.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

2. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Damn. R.I.P.

One of the G.O.A.T. at what he did.

.be

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Truly grand salami time.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

He'd clearly lost a couple miles off his fastball in the last couple years and he never gave the score, which was annoying to no end, but what a loss to PNW baseball to those who were Mariners fans since birth or those, like myself, who became one in part because of his broadcasts.

Fly away, and RIP.

Cleary remember his calls of Tino's 9th-inning HR against the A's; of Luis Sojo's little 3-run bleeder in the playoff game against Anaheim; of Edgar's grand slam and RBI double against the Yankees in the ALDS in the season that saved MLB in our region ...

Get out the rye bread, grandma. Sad day throughout the region.

5. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

RIP to one of the great ones.

6. I live in Pennsylvania, and I know for the most part broadcasters are regional icons, but I'm shocked none of the guys I work with knew who Dave was even by voice recognition. I always thought he was one of those guys that all baseball fans seemed to know. Loved listening to him call a game. RIP.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Definitely didn't sound like he was 75.

RIP.

8. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Deservedly in the Hall of Fame.

RIP...

9. Gues#t

Gues#t Guest

My son reminded me tonight of the way Niehaus used to do a little wrapup at the end of the season each year. In '95, after a great finish but no cigar, he did a wistful five minutes and finished by saying that he loved baseball, but someday he hoped he'd be able to come home, break out the white tie and tails, and say to his wife, "We're finally going to the big one." He never made it, and the M's delivered a miserable final season for him. He soldiered on through it, and his clear love of the game never wavered.

I woke up one night while I was overseas, and for some reason "Get out the rye bread and the mustard, Grandma, it's grand salami time!" was ringing in my ears. Niehaus was that unforgettable, and won't be forgotten.

RIP, David.

10. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

My oh my. :(
    RIP Dave.

11. baskethead

baskethead Member

I don't think I've ever been sadder about someone I didn't really know dying. It's probably not really going to hit until the spring. I wouldn't want to be the one replacing him.

12. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I took a tour of Safeco last year, and upon entering the press box the only thing everyone wanted to know was where Niehaus sat. And there was some genuine disappointment amongst the group when they found out that level of the box wasn't on the tour.

RIP, Mr. Niehaus.

Draft saved Draft deleted