1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Longmont Times-Call staffers invited to work as valets at owner's Xmas party

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Nov 19, 2008.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'm not laughing at anyone, I work in the investment industry:

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2008/11/longmont_timescall_staffers_in.php

Talk about a sign of the times in the journalism industry. Staffers at the Longmont Times-Call recently received an internal e-mail inviting them to work as valets at a private Christmas party for the Lehman family, who own the paper. And at least two employees have already accepted the offer.

The party honors Ed Lehman, who's currently in his 51st year as the Times-Call's publisher, and his wife Connie -- and Dean Lehman, the paper's editor and president (and Ed's son), says valets are needed because many of the guests are elderly and may need a little extra help. So, too, do small-market journalists in a struggling economy, so Lehman saw it as natural to give Times-Call workers the chance to earn a little extra cash as Christmas approaches. He says valets will earn the same rate of pay they receive at their day job for the hours they work.

Although most Times-Call employees aren't invited to this bash, they'll have a holiday celebration of their own. Lehman says the entire workforce is invited to a catered sit-down luncheon. Presumably, there'll be no need for valet parking at this event. -- Michael Roberts

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The valets' union, however, is demanding that the wages for the temporary newspaper workers be increased to valet scale.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Shouldn't this go on the jobs board?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Do the employees get docked pay for keying every car they park?

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If I worked there, I would so do this just to be able to tell the story.

If someone here works there, please do it...

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

gallows humor well done

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Plus, screw 'em. You can drive away with a sweet Lincoln!

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It makes total sense.

Why should people have to park their cars when newspaper people will do it for free?

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Ahh yes, Mr. McDowell and Akeem, 20 years later.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

They should sign up, park all the cars, throw the keys in the bushes, then leave.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

This is how people's heads end up on pikes.

12. How do you upper deck a car?

Glove compartment?

Draft saved Draft deleted