1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Longing for a freelance check

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by top_dog, Aug 5, 2009.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I have the same problem with getting checks from baseball umpiring. I've had to call and e-mail my supervisor to make sure the checks are coming.

I'd go along with the recommendation to e-mail and CC the managing editor or executive editor. When I had a disciplinary problem with an employee that wasn't resolved by my directly addressing it with her via an electronic paper trail, I sent my next e-mail to her with a CC to my boss.

My next step would have been a formal warning followed up by paperwork. I think your next step ought to be a serious phone call to the SE and/or his boss.

2. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

This reminds me of working at a paper that was too cheap to send the beat guy to a postseason game and then asked me if I knew someone in the area who could cover the game for us.

I called a contact and set him up to cover the game. More than two months later, he calls me and tells me he still hasn't been paid.

I mention it to the SE and he says nothing. Another two weeks pass and the guy still hasn't been paid.

I bring it up to the ME and she has this stunned look on her face. I tell her we look really bad. She agrees. I tell her we should pay the dude an extra $10 or so since he has waited nearly three months to get paid after accepting our proposal on short notice. She looks at me like I lost my mind.

We're talking 10 freakin' bucks here lady.

The next time said paper asked me if I knew of someone who could help us, I pretended I didn't know anyone in that area. Wasn't worth the grief for any stringer to have to put up with some unprofessionalism.

If you hire a stringer cheapos SEs, PAY THE PERSON.

And pay them fast.

3. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

Amen, brother.... ;D

4. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Our (former) ME regularly screwed our (former) main stringer. It was our guy's main source of income and he would file his statements with the ME every couple of weeks. Sometimes the guy would forward them to the payroll office, sometimes they would get lost in a stack of papers on his desk.
    And then he would say "Well, for most people, this is a part time job...supplementary income. It's not our fault this is his main source of income."
    As if that had anything to do with anything. Happily, the ME has since been fired and remains out of work nine or ten months later...

5. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

It's never good to burn bridges...I would follow up with a phone call to the SE and not stop ringing until I got him in person. If it wasn't resolved after that, then I would go over his head with an e-mail to an editor higher on the tree, detailing your efforts to get paid over the last several months.

Thankfully, I've never had this issue, but yes with staff cuts many are getting pressed more and more, so I can see freelance gigs being low on the priority list (not that they should be!!!)

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

This won't work with all papers, especially chains.

I string for a Lee paper, and the local payroll department would have nothing to do with it.

The sports editor sends the pay request to Lee, and I get a check at the end of the month.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'm getting the same dance right now from a Gannett paper in La.
    SE promised a check the first week of this month for two stories done in July. They had me fill out direct deposit paperwork.
    I waited 10 days and inquired about the check. I waited five days and inquired again. This time, the SE actually answered and said that he was told I should have a check the end of the week.
    I waited until the beginning of this week -- no check. No reply.

8. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

I don't consider something overdue until 30 days after the invoice ... I don't get too owly until 45 days ... I do have a couple of accounts that are four months behind ... not pleased about that, but I WILL get my money (heh heh heh) ...

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I agree. However, when the SE tells you that the check will be cut AND that they only get cut once a month AND ignores emails wondering where his promised check was, I tend to get a wee bit pissy.

10. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

Don't blame you for that, amigo....D

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

You haven't been paid since April? Time to talk to someone. Go to the SE. If there is no satisfaction there, go up the chain. You did work. You should be paid.

12. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I've threatened, but never followed through with just sending invoices with late fees included.

If I don't pay my house payment or my electric bill by the due date, I get charged a late fee.

If newspapers don't pay stringers or schools don't pay officials in a timely manner, they should have to pay a late fee. I guarantee you that you'll never get a late payment again once it starts to cost them more money.

Hell, I should even set my rate higher and offer a discount for prompt payment... just like big companies do. Give Gannett (or any other company) a discount, and they'll get you your money.

Draft saved Draft deleted