1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Longhorn Network

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I think it would be four 18-team super conferences if that happens, for a total of 72 teams. With the current Power 5 setup, plus Notre Dame, you've already got 65 teams.

In that scenario, you'd have schools like BYU, Air Force, Boise State and the entire AAC scrambling for those last 5 to 7 spots like people climbing onto the last helicopter out of Saigon.

(I suppose you could shitcan teams like Vanderbilt, Wake Forest and Oregon State, then add Notre Dame and maybe Houston and BYU and keep it at 64, but I can't see the conference commissioners allowing that to happen).

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

And that, in a nutshell, is the LHN problem; the number of people "in the demo" who would want to tune-in to watch a documentary about a team from 1963 is miniscule.

I wonder if ESPN's apparent ignoring of problems at ut is proof that the LHN is one-and-done; otherwise, I would think Bob Iger or Skipper would have arranged for Strong to get the boot and a headline grabbing guy like Gruden or Saban to be his replacement.

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

It would be better if it were the Foghorn Leghorn Network. I'd watch, I say, boy, I'd watch that network, yessir.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The Southwest Conference came apart largely because the TV networks were not interested in a conference which was entirely in Texas (plus Arkansas). There simply are not enough eyeballs for a UT only network to thrive. Even the Teasips will get tired of it after a while.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Those ESPN types are about as sharp as a bowlin' ball.

6. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

If you venture over to a couple of satellite TV message boards, there are tons of (2-3) anecdotes of people who will sit around and watch UT softball coach's shows and swimming meets.

7. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

In 50 years, this will be an arcane footnote in sports history akin to the Seattle Bowl or the consolation game of the NIT.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's kind of an interesting thing to ponder with the changing cable landscape. When the current deals expire, what will the schools be willing to do in order to keep revenue as steady as possible. Won't be surprised to see more mergers which are directed by the TV networks more than schools. Figure it makes sense for the northern schools in the ACC to join the Big 10, perhaps the ACC and SEC to form some type of alliance and the Pac 12 and Big 12 to team up.

Draft saved Draft deleted