1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Longhorn Network

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jun 20, 2011.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Am I missing something in failing to see how this will be successful? My guess is that they will get 1-2 football games against the dregs of the Sun Belt, a sprinkling of non-conference hoops blowouts, minor sports that don't draw flies and lots and lots of filler. I can't imagine a single out-of-state cable operator carrying it. How is this supposed to be a cash cow?

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Figure Texas will restrict a lot of their coaches shows, insider type roundtables etc. to TLN, tie a bunch of their advertisers to the network and I'm guessing there isn't a cable system in the state that won't carry it and agree to whatever insane carriage fee UT wants, without risking treason charges.

3. highlander

highlander Member

I believe it is one football game.

4. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Texas is a pretty big state.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Success is based on whatever per-subscriber fee they can get from cable and satellite carriers to bring the channel to each of the 6 million or so TV households in the Republic of Texas. If they get 20 cents a month, that is $14 million a year. There will be a showdown with the cable companies over the price just as there was with the NFL and B10 networks, but the revenue stream is clearly there.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Not everyone in Texas follows the Horns, and with all the pro sports I suspect there are a few who don't care for college sports period. And how many coaches shows blow out the ratings? Just doesn't seem like good value, and I can see someone balking.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

DirecTV will likely carry it and offer the channel nationwide in the Sports Pack, as it does the The Mtn.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The cable system is not a la carte. The discussions are between UT and the distributors, not with individual customers. You pay for the Food Network and the Sci-Fi Channel right now regardless of whether you watch them. The idea is every cable system in the state is going to have to carry it and that's where they make their money.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I thought I read somewhere that it would air repeat showings of recent football games (like the Sunshine Network used to) and would also show a lot of "classic" games.

Even if it's not profitable, recruits will eat it up.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Every cable operator in Texas will have it. Period. They'd be stupid not to.

Texas has 25 million residents. How many people are in Big Ten country?

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Approximately 70 million.

12. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

DID YOU PLAY IN A BOWL GAME LAST YEAR?

Me, personally: No
    My wife, personally: No
    The University of Texas Longhorns: No

Draft saved Draft deleted