1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Long time Alabama high school football and basketball coach dies in car wreck

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Todd Horne, who coached at G.W. Long and Dale County High Schools for almost 15 years (including head coach at Dale County the last two years), was killed in a car wreck on Tuesday night:

http://www.dothaneagle.com/dea/news/local/article/five_dale_county_coaches_hurt_in_crash/29572/

Always a tough situation for everyone involved, but with practice starting next week, it's got to be a nightmare, even just logistically.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Re: Long time Alabama high school football and basketball coach dies in car wrec

Indeed, but what a tiresome lede.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

They're probably happy he actually was on time with the story.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

There was a muted tone around town today, especially in the restaurants where I ate breakfast and lunch.

I didn't know the guy, but apparently he was a community staple.

5. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Re: Long time Alabama high school football and basketball coach dies in car wrec

RIP, Coach.
    Prayers to the immediate family and the school family.

6. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

Yes, because the right words are so easy to find when a friend of yours dies.

jackass

7. YankeessSuck

YankeessSuck Member

Horne was a great guy. Always in a good mood. Always had time to talk with you. Not just about sports, but anything. I would call him for a simple question about the team and we would end up talking for about 45 minutes on anything from politics to farming. News of this really hit me hard. He will be missed. Prayers go out to his family and the Dale County community.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

There's a $100K salary to fill.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Pretty smarmy even for you.

And FWIW, in that part of Bama at that size school, he wouldn't be making close to that. But nice of you to offer... f-tard.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

No shit. My wife taught for a year at the feeder middle school for Dale County High. You could probably take any two coaches in that system and not get to $100k.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Touchy little bastard.

The guy is dead, I can't bring him back, no matter what I write.

I certainly not making fun of him.

But there are HS football coaches in Alabama who get paid $100K a year.

Which is in-fucking-credible.

12. WS

WS Member

and most of them are far, far away from Midland City, Ala.

Draft saved Draft deleted