1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Long-shot Washington, DC question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sirvaliantbrown, Jan 26, 2009.

1. I was at a Washington Wizards game about five years back. Afterwards, I waited for a subway train at the crowded Gallery Place-Chinatown Metro station. Suddenly, four black men, 50 to 65 years old, appear on the platform, drop a hat, and start singing Motown songs - Four Tops, Temps, Miracles...

They were indescribably fantastic. One of them did the best Smokey I've ever heard from anybody who isn't Smokey. Dozens of people skipped trains to listen to them; one guy appeared to give them a $20 bill; after about 20 minutes, they must've made $200 or something. I've never seen anything like it.

Anyway, was thinking of that wonderful moment upon reading the new Weingarten-violinist thread, and I wondered if any of you all, filled with infinite wisdom as you are, have any idea who these guys were. (No, they weren't actual Motown singers.) Long shot, but it's bothered me for half of this decade. Thanks!

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I have no idea who these guys are/were, but now you have me yearning for the group called Mixed Nuts that used to "jam" at Boston University.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

No answer to your question... but it reminded me... There used to this kid on the NYC subways. I haven't seen him in a few years, but I used to see him all the time. He was maybe 14 or 15. Black kid. Total hip hop look, braided hair, baggy pants, oversized jersey, tattoos, etc. He even was slightly menacing in his demeanor. But this kid used to blow me away. He'd walk into a subway car and pull out a violin and play the hell out of it. In between two stations, he might cover a modified version of one of Paganini's caprices and his playing was flawless (well, to my untrained ear, at least) and full of passion.

But it was so incongruous, because until he started playing, it was a talent you'd never have guessed by the way he looked and his demeanor. That kid made some good money on me. No matter how many times I saw him, when I saw him again I'd be excited. It would make my day. I wonder what happened to him.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

just kidding.

Maybe these guys?

5. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Or these guys?

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And he was not standing by a door!!! He had a captive audience!!!

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not really, though. Not sure how much you have ridden subway... A zillion people come through the cars, performing (every kind of performance you can imagine), begging for money, preaching Jesus, selling stuff, etc. You really learn how to tune out 99.9 percent of the people around you on the subway. Two guys can set up with bongo drums right in front of me and make a racket and I might not even look at them or lower the volume on my iPod. This kid was different.He made it so he was impossible to ignore. I really wonder what happened to him.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

This is the oddest thread ever.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'd be 100 times more likely to throw some coins into a busker's hat than give to some greasy panhandler on a street corner. Seems like a more honest way to scratch out an existence.

10. RossLT

RossLT Guest

There was a guy who used to sit outside of KeyArena on Sonics game nights playing the tuba who was money on that thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted