1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Long Gone,' the HBO baseball flick: WTF is the deal?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, May 14, 2014.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It is invariably mentioned as an offbeat/obscurity choice whenever "best baseball movie ever" discussions arrive, but it seems to have pretty much vanished off the earth.

Not available on DVD, Netflix, Amazon, HBO Demand -- it seems to have been locked deep in the vaults. As far as I can tell it's been out of circulation a decade or more.

A few years ago you could watch it on YouTube, but that's been blocked too.

HBO certainly rolls out enough crap on its channel lineups, you'd think they'd run it themselves a couple times a year.

I certainly wouldn't go so far as to say it was the "greatest baseball movie EVARRR" but it is certainly an entertaining couple of hours.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

"Let's go knock their dicks off!"

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/long-gone-movie

I've looked before, too. Seems there is one copy of the DVD on ebay right now. The funny part is some guy trying to sell a sealed box of the VHS tape for $34.99.

Loved that movie. Kind of silly, but a lot of fun. I used Tampico Stogies as a fantasy baseball team name for many years. I am curious how it would hold up. It is odd how hard it is to find.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

My guess is HBO has a rights issue with stuff it produced way back when. You never see Dream On, Tales From The Crypt, First and Ten, etc. on any of the HBO channels either. I think an HBO Classic channel that showed its old stuff would be awesome.

4. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

I believe the DVD is actually recorded off a VCR tape. Looked into buying the movie a few years ago and came across a DVD for sale, but the info gave the impression it was from a tape.
    I think the movie would hold up pretty well since it's a period piece.
    HBO really needs to think about remastering it.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm assuming it is something like that as well, though First and Ten at least is much easier to find. (Yes, I do own the box set on DVD. It was really cheap.)

6. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Definitely a good point. A good majority of their shows are pretty much available in full on HBO Go and on-demand any more. Even a few that were only around for a season and people didn't generally care about. But those classics are nowhere to be found. I check in from time to time just to see if one of those types show up.

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I thought it was every bit as good as "Bull Durham" and I'm old enough to have Jack Daniels for breakfast.
    I taped the movie way back when. Loaned it a somebody I used to work with and never got it back. I guess my tape is "Long Gone."

8. joe

joe Active Member

Loved the Hank Williams usage in the movie.

9. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

That would be a great idea. I'd love to catch some of the old episodes of "The Hitchhiker" and "Not Necessarily the News" and some vintage 80s "Inside the NFL" (although I'm pretty sure you can find a lot of that on YouTube).

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Three words for you: "Dixie Lee Boxx!"

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

It's out there in torrent-land, if you're into that sort of thing.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was thinking of a different three words.

Draft saved Draft deleted