1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Long, but entertaining: Spider-Man 3

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, May 2, 2007.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Haven't seen it, and won't see it for a week or three until it hits the cheap afternoon matinees, but from many reports, SM3 has fallen victim to Joel Schumacher Disease (as exemplified in the two disastrous Batman movies he directed) -- too many stupid villains, too many random side storylines, too many in-jokes, and overall a chaotic mess of a movie.

2. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I'm kind of surprsied. The 'Cream of the Crop' on RottenTomatoes.com is only giving it a 47% approval rating:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/spiderman_3/?critic=creamcrop

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

A couple of our PAs went to the 12:01 am showing at the Arclight (trendy Hollywood theater) and they say Tobey Maguire showed up right before the screening and thanked everyone for coming out and then sat in the middle of the crowd and watched the whole movie.

BTW, the reviews from the audience trended negative. College-age kids loved it, but slightly older people in the audience didn't like it.

Venom was the first choice when we asked which badguy was the best.

OH, and I forgot to mention that there's a hillarious call-back to Saturday Night Fever in the middle of the movie.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Can't wait to go...getting tickets online ahead of time for tomorrow night. It sure seems like they jammed in too much, but I think it'll be a fun ride anyway.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Never thought these movies were that great.

6. outofplace

That's becuase you suck...hehe

Sersiously, I know some people can't get past the comic book angle. Some don't like the director's B-Movie sensibilities, which do show up on occasion. Personally, I've only had two problems -- the Green Goblin's costume in the first movie and the fact that Kirsten Dunst isn't nearly hot enough to play Mary Jane. Though, the women in the Spider-Man comics, like most comics, have always been unrealistically hot.

7. RokSki

RokSki New Member

She's not, but as you said, it is a high standard.

Kirsten is one of those girls, IMO, who looks amazing in one shot and pretty 'meh' in the next. She does have a pretty nice figure, though, IMO. I don't think she'll be on board for the next Spidey, which I'm not really too upset about.

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Apparently, she was quoted as saying Spider-Man will not be a successful box office draw without her and Maguire in it.

Genius at work.

9. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Yeah, that's right. I think she's been backpedaling of late (with a kick in the butt from her agent, no doubt) on the 'not going to do it' thing. :)

10. outofplace

She's right about one thing. I don't think it would work without Maguire, either. And if he goes, they lose Raimi as the director, too.

Take those two away and I'll be waiting until Spider-Man 4 is on cable to see it.

11. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I'm almost sure MaGuire is in for the next one. Whew! :)

12. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

This week, a lot of entertainment outlets have said that this is Maguire's last one. I saw it at midnight, and boy it was long. Two hours and thrity one minutes to be exact. Thankfully, there were snacks to keep me going. ;D Anyway, the movie was entertaining. I don't care too much for Dunst as Mary-Jane.

I can't wait for Pirates of the Carribean to come out. If it is going to be anything like the last two, this one will break movie ticket sales records. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted