1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Long Beach PT dumps sports staff

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MTM, May 2, 2011.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Once strong section bites the dust

http://reporter-g.blogspot.com/2011/04/press-telegram-losing-sports-photo.html

http://www.lbpost.com/news/allison/11548

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Why would coverage be farmed out to Torrance instead of the other way around? Isn't Long Beach a bigger city? In any event, may as well shutter the place, or turn the publication into an auto trader.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/3046238/

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Sorry, I don't know what's a Singleton paper and what isn't. I just happened to see a specific paper name in this thread title.

5. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

MileHigh, this is meant as an innocent question as I've seen it come up before with the Gannett thread. Is there a shelf life for some of these threads? I mean in this case I think a new thread regarding the Long Beach PT was warranted because that thread you linked to is 26 pages long and some of the posts on page 26 are almost two years old.

On a separate note, I am thoroughly pissed to see the name of the man who helped get me started in this business listed in that story as one of the two editors to get a pink slip. John Futch is as good as they come and someone I'm proud to call a mentor and a good friend for 15 years. Here's hoping he and the rest of the PT staffers impacted by this move get snatched up quickly, though these days that is tough considering how many like them have been kicked to the curb.

Okay. Rant over.

AK

6. MileHigh

I just linked to it because it was posted a few days ago and that thread was on the first page -- and some other comments had been left related to Long Beach. It wasn't trying to point out a D_B, just that the conversation had already started was all.

7. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Thanks MH. No worries, and I wasn't taking a shot at you. I was just curious about the protocol in instances like this.

AK

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Its utterly ridiculous. Long Beach has almost twice the population of the city of Cincinnati.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Very sad they are losing five excellent sports writers.... and one gossip columnist/bar reviewer.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

How long ago was it that the LADN and LADN combined coverage of most sports? It seems like that was at least a decade ago.

11. MileHigh

All of the papers within LANG other than Torrance were acquired in the mid- to late 1990s, with San Bernardino, Ontario and Redlands the last of the batch on April 1, 1999. The consolidation and sharing started in the early 2000s, then the consolidation of production started in 2004. Torrance came into the fold in 2007.

Draft saved Draft deleted