1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

London wants the Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, May 3, 2009.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Teams run by AJ Smith and coached by Norv Turner don't play in Super Bowls, anyway. Of course, if you are talking 2017, who knows? Peyton Manning and Tom Brady will be retired by then, so who knows if anyone will care.

Too many logistical problems, though, as has been well documented here. People paying hundreds of pounds to sit in Wembley Stadium in freezing weather in the middle of the night to watch two teams from across the ocean bang heads? Please tell me the Brits aren't THAT insane.... yet.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

If we were, I would have suggested the Raiders playing in the Super Bowl.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

You think that's insane? Come here you stupid kid! I'll fucking kill you!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I predict the Raiders will never play in another Super Bowl as long as Al Davis is alive. Pete Rozelle got the better deal. Pete may be dead, and laughing his ass off in heaven above, while Al has sit and watch his "commitment to excellence" take a butt-whipping each and every autumn weekend.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Interesting fun fact: The Raiders have played in the AFC (or AFL) championship game in the first season of every decade since since the merger (1970, 1980, 1990 and 2000). I'm going to take a wild guess and say that streak ends in 2010.

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

"A double rock and rye and seven Carlings"

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

"So. Do you girls come here often?"

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

No way. Champions League! Then it's a trade.

9. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Forget the logistical issues. There is something very wrong with the idea of one of the ultimate American events (if not THE ultimate one) being played on foreign soil.

Twoback, you mentioned the Champions League. Wouldn't that seem just as out of place in America as the Super Bowl would be in London?

10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Of course it would.
    But if they're taking the Super Bowl, it seems like a fair deal.

11. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I'd be OK with this if it means American cities in the North can get Super Bowls, too.

12. joe king

joe king Active Member

Al actually died five years ago but nobody in the organization had the nerve to tell him.

Draft saved Draft deleted