1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

London Olympic logo released.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MilanWall, Jun 4, 2007.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think this one for the next WC in South Africa is pretty good.

[​IMG]

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

This one wasn't too bad.

[​IMG]

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Perhaps I was thinking mascot more than logo. Usually the mascot is like a walking douchebag or a puddle of cum with an inverted G written in Tahoma, or grits.

Nothing beats Springy, the Springfield Spring.

4. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

An Olympic logo that looks like the dental X-rays of the host nation's denizens. Seems perfect to me.

Seriously, though, I think most of the recent Olympic logos have been pretty cool, but maybe the London organizers felt the need to get away from the versions of the stylized "human figure" that have been so prevalent (Barcelona, Sydney, Beijing, Vancouver), just as Torino opted not to have the 1,000,000th Winter Olympics logo that looked like a snowflake.

But that doesn't excuse the London logo, which is pretty awful regardless of its intentions.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I was only a kid at the time, but I remember well Naranjito, the Spain 1982 mascot.

[​IMG]

6. MilanWall

MilanWall Member

Otto would totally kick his ass.

[​IMG]

7. Kritter47

Kritter47 Member

I love people who say things like "this will appeal to young people!" as an excuse for poor decision making and ugly design. Especially when the people deciding what will appeal to those young people obviously have no clue.

I am a young people. and both the decisions made by people in the newspaper industry under the guise of attracting young people and this logo just make me roll my eyes.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Kritter47 - spot on...

And we're talking about five years from now. When was the last time something "that appealed to young people" continued to "appeal" to them five years later...

9. MilanWall

MilanWall Member

The Simpsons?

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Well since everyone thinks this is horrible right now, maybe in 2012 it will be hip and with the times.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

It's doubtful pink puzzle pieces will ever be hip.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Yeah, but five years before it happened, who thought a pet rock would be hip? I think you underestimate the power of the "So bad it's good" crowd.

Draft saved Draft deleted