1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lombardi On Broadway

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I was a tad excited about this play till I read this weeks SI. They have script from what they term "pivotal scene":

Lombardi Office - 1959 Lombardi / Hornung/ Taylor - Lombardi is showing them power sweep.

One of lines:

" The tackle Kramer is wider than usual with greater latitude to pull left or right. then you Thurston you may also break inside or outside."

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I read that, too, and I saw a couple of inaccuracies, at least, from how Maraniss' book portrays the incidents.

The book has McGee telling VL that his speech had gotten their attention. The play has Hornung's.

The book has McGee and Howie Ferguson getting yelled at by VL for arriving early, but not practicing. The play has Hornung and Taylor getting yelled at.

I too, was excited to hear about the play, but I'm afraid that if I go, I'll be spending the entire show finding scenes that weren't accurate.

3. Boom_70

Hopefully it is an SI snafu. You just cannot have Jerry Kramer playing tackle.

4. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Remember this is an adaptation of the book for Broadway so many liberties will be taken.

I will bet that Hornung plays in the Ice Bowl.
    Herb Adderley will be gay.
    Starr will be Jewish and from the Bronx and battle Brett Favre for playing time.
    Lombardi will cure someone of blindness.
    There will be a nude musical number.

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I'm betting a shower scene

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

You left out the most important part ... that the dad from The Wonder Years plays Lombardi:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I hope it opens with a peppy production number, including the chorus singing and high stepping, "What the hell's going on out here?"

I'll buy the CD. Or at least I'll illegally download it.

8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I think "What the hell's going on out here!?" pretty much sums up the whole concept.

9. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Hey if you watch Hard Knocks you can see the walls of the Jets facility are painted with "When you're a Jet you're a Jet all the way", so there's already an NFL/Broadway connection.

10. Boom_70

There is a shower scene with Vince and Phil Bengston. Play implies that they had a J Edgar Hoover / Clyde Tolson type of relationship. It's why Marie Lombardi drank.

11. Boom_70

Finally caught Lombardi. Thoroughly enjoyed. Dan Lauria is uncanny as Lombardi. He truly puts his heart and soul into performance. Judith Light is great as Marie.

Highly recommend.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Has Ragu seen it yet?

I know he just loves the theater.

Draft saved Draft deleted