1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LOL Spring

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Mar 21, 2013.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It must be global warming. :)

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Don't know what you're talking about. It was 80 last weekend, been in the 70s all week, the bradford pears have already bloomed and now have leaves and the redbuds are in full bloom right now. Saw a robin out back a couple days ago.

Looks like spring to me.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In New England, the first month of spring is quite frequently only the site of winter's playoffs. Seems to be happening again. I will point out that in late February, the same long-range forecasts cited today by Mr. Creosote called for an abnormally warm March up here.

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Someone slapped up a paper up in the office with Punxsutawney Phil on it. Says "Wanted for Fraud."

View from the house on Saturday morning:
    [​IMG]

View from my house last night:
    [​IMG]

Note its proximity to the fire hydrant. I feel like I'm in some frozen sci fi movie and it's going to overtake my little trailerhood.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

That's what you get for living on Hoth.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It's starting to look like that mountain in Close Encounters.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Definitely know what you mean. We had clouds last night and the high was only in the low 60s. I almost needed a jacket at the baseball field.

Back to 75 and sunny today, so, whew.

9. KJIM, isn't that a warm winter if that pile isn't twice as large at this time of year?

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I'm told we're 20 degrees "above normal" for this time of year. I've no idea if that's true. But apparently last year was considerably warmer.

The Pensacola guy I know here is fleeing home next month. I haven't seen him without a knit hat -- even indoors -- since November.

If the snow pile hadn't quintupled in size since Saturday, I'd feel better.

But no one wants a quick thaw or there could be more floods.

Just stop the snow, please. I'll take 5 and sunshine over 25 and snow.

11. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

12. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

The frustrating thing in the "Four State Area" is that the forecast changes every day few hours. Originally, it was just going to rain a little tomorrow and a lot Saturday, so the local juco moved one of its two weekend doubleheaders to Friday to see if they could sneak one in before it got bad.

Now, the forecast is calling for a snow/rain mix Friday, a 50-percent chance of rain Saturday, and up to 6 to 10 inches of snow on Sunday. That wipes out the juco baseball weekend and they'll probably be trying to find a dry field somewhere in Oklahoma to play those games on Monday and Tuesday (supposedly, there's a conference rule that forces both teams to forfeit any unplayed games if a series can't be completed by Tuesday but I haven't heard of a case of it actually being enforced).

Draft saved Draft deleted