1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LOL!!! Brady Quinn Wins the Maxwell Award

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sportsbruh, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Johnsonville

Johnsonville Member

You don't think that there is a large group of people out there that hate Notre Dame and are waiting to jump out of their holes to rip the team when things go wrong? Same with the Yankees, Cowboys, etc. I get the backlash because they get more advantages than other schools. A lot of it is brought on the by the self-importance of the school. But Ripping Quinn or Weis for the team's lack of talent brought on by Willingham is ridiculous.

2. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

Where was the backlash when they were ranked No. 2 to start the season? Or were boosted back there after clubbing Penn State?

They're ranked where they should be. Quinn's going to finish where he should.

What backlash? Was that a Texas backlash when people said Mack Brown couldn't win the big game? A Big East backlash when people thought the conference didn't belong in the BCS any longer?

If anything, people jump at the chance to put Notre Dame in the thick of the national title, Heisman race, etc., not the other way around.

What you call a "backlash" I call a persecution complex. The constant "woe is us" line coming out of a place that is a maverick by its own choice, in order to horde television paychecks and so forth, gets so tiring. Like Weis griping about being leaped in the polls. Geez. Went out and showed them, though, didn't they? [/sarcasm]

3. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

It goes both ways, though.
    There are a bunch of people who, for one of several reasons, see the world through blue-and-gold glasses and are always elevating Notre Dame above where it ought to be. And there's a bunch of people, ND-haters, who can't stand the place, and look for any excuse to knock it down and call it/its players over-rated. You see that on this board all the time (look at the top of this thread, for instance).
    Which side gets heard more tends to depend on whether the Irish are up or down. That's all.

4. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

The lack of talent brought in by Willingham? On defense, perhaps. Or just perhaps those guys aren't getting coached up properly. Think the D-coordinator will be back in 2007?

Now I don't follow ND closely at all as they haven't won a bowl game this century -- Oops, guess that makes me a hater.

But just who recruited Quinn and Samardzija and Walker, their top three offensive players?

5. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Colt Brennan is one of the top five QBs in the nation and I'd bet half the guys on this board -- maybe more -- would have to Google him.

6. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

If they did they'd find some interesting material, that's for sure.

7. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

But is he going to be another Timmy Chang?

8. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Nope. I've seen him play live.

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Keeps me warm [/someonehadtosayit]

10. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

What he does in the NFL means squat to me. lack of NFL success does not take away from his college game. One and the other are not at all related. BUT, yes, he could be another Timmy Chang. :)

11. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

Indeed. He was born in Laguna Beach.

12. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

Colt Brennan will be another Timmy Chang. Otherwise he wouldn't have played for Hawaii. Although, his stats were impressive against Alabama, Purdue and Boise State.

Draft saved Draft deleted