1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LOL!!! Brady Quinn Wins the Maxwell Award

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sportsbruh, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Six

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I hear Jimmy Clausen will get them to move the Heisman ceremony to the College Football Hall of Fame, so that he can arrive in a limo to pick up his award every year. Just don't ask him any questions about it after, or else Charlie will get mad and never talk to you again.

3. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

that was good.

Adrian runs with reckless abandon - he posted up numbers better than McFadden in his Freshman season. Yet McFadden is impressive.

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I'd draft either before Quinn. I don't think Quinn will be a bad pro, but man, McFadden and Adrian P. are going to be awesome, awesome pros.

5. Johnsonville

Johnsonville Member

Clearly it was his fault because Brady Quinn should be able to cover Mario Manningham. Did you even watch the game?

6. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

He threw three interceptions against Michigan. One went through his tight end's hands (a tight end, by the way, who should be making All-American teams). But Quinn threw it behind him and high. It was returned for a touchdown.

Late in the game, he fumbled a ball when no one was around him. Michigan had a large lead at that point, but Notre Dame was scrambling to get back into things still. So at least Quinn has some fight in him. Bottom line is he played a pretty big role in that defeat - whether he underestimated Michigan's defensive speed, ferocity, ability to fly to the ball, I don't know. Whether Notre Dame, like USC against UCLA, simply didn't have much left in the tank after having to get emotionally up for the third week in a row, who knows?

But what we do know is that Quinn played a pretty big part in that defeat. Three interceptions in a 26-point loss are three interceptions in a 26-point loss. Parse that too far, and you begin to sound like an apologist. Brady Quinn is a great quarterback and he's going to be a perennial Pro Bowler. But he didn't earn the Heisman Trophy this year. That's OK.

7. Johnsonville

Johnsonville Member

It all has to be in context. Go back and look at the play-by-play.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/boxscore?gid=200609160104&page=plays

After the interception to the start the game (not his fault), he tied the game before the defense fell apart. They were down 34-7 in the first half. I don't think he played much of a role in the loss. But I am sure ND haters will.

The facts are this is not a great team with offensive line issues causing the problems against the elite teams.

8. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

first QB taken in the draft should be jamarcus russell, IMO.

9. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Most underrated QB in the nation.

10. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

Russell's got another year left. But he looks like Daunte Culpepper, size- and arm-wise.

So, Johnsonville, did Purdue "haters" conspire to keep the Heisman out of Drew Brees' hands the year he wet the bed against Michigan State?

Before the season started, I can remember Weis and Quinn both saying repeatedly that you win the Heisman by winning games, that if Notre Dame won the national title or contended for it, the Heisman would follow. No one blinked. But now you and BullBoi are acting like voters are doing mental gymnastics to keep the award away from him. Smith flat-out earned it. Quarterbacks are judged how they are judged, and winning is a huge part of that.

11. Johnsonville

Johnsonville Member

Show me where I said Smith doesn't deserve it.

I was only saying that Quinn should not be criticized for the losses. He played well most of the year and will be a fine NFL player as long as he avoids a shitty team that cannot protect him.

12. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

I think, more than anything, I was reacting to your use of the phrase "ND haters." It seems like Notre Dame fans, more than any other group of fans I've ever interacted with, believe that any perceived slight is because of a "bias" against their program. They have a serious persecution complex.

Draft saved Draft deleted