1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lofton backs Sheffield's claim of different treatment of black and white Yankees

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Jul 15, 2007.

1. IU90

IU90 Member

Exactly, Torre's obvious racism that's been so cleverly hidden for all these decades doesn't apply to any blacks who are different from Gary Sheffield--it doesn't apply to guys like Jeter who aren't completely black and it doesn't apply to guys like Bernie who come from those weird spanish speaking places.

In Sheffield's mind, the world is out to get guys just like himself and nobody else, and he's carried that attitude his entire career.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

This is the truth. It is not a bad thing. It's a good thing. He shouldn't be vilified for it.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

nice picture of Joe with Uncle Dwight and Roy White - both African Americans that never expressed a problem with how Joe ran things.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

But, isn't it interesting that no one... NONE of his past teammates, or players he managed, has told Sheff and Lofton to fuck themselves?

5. Simon_Cowbell

Well, one guy's name is white, and the other's rhymes with white.

6. IU90

IU90 Member

How many have been asked? This newest Sheffield controversy is only a couple days old.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

some folks here will rip jeter for anything. :eek: ??? ::)

8. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

O-VER-RATED!

But he is the best overrated athlete in the world. [michigan fanboy]

9. casty33

casty33 Active Member

I have known Joe Torre since 1978, have been in his company numerous times, and I can honestly say there isn't a trace of racial feelings in the man. I have on occasion dealt with Sheffield and he seemed to me to be searching for things, not sure what the right thing is to say. I don't know Lofton at all.

Rather than take shots at the accusers, who I don't know, I prefer to throw support on the man being accused. There is no truth to any of it. The only time he has treated players any differently is due to their talents and ability to play the game. The accusations are lame.

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

This is where we seem to lose a sense of history and just go with the present.

Think of all the black players Torre played alongside... then think of all the black players he's managed with the Mets, Braves, Cardinals...

This has never come up.

But it would be easy enough to verify. Just start asking some of those old players.

Until somebody like a Chris Chambliss says this? Eh. I'm not even sure it's responsible for a news organization to put it out there.

11. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Good point, Luggy, and I checked with Darryl Strawberry, who I talk to occasionally. He told me he has no problem with Joe Torre. He wouldn't come out and criticize Sheffield but only indicated that Gary sometimes says things that don't come out right.

12. Simon_Cowbell

First, if OJ taught anything, it's that beat writers don't know these guys much more than Joe Schmo.

Second, I would rather see a Hank Aaron.... or a Bob Gibson... or a Lou Brock... tell Gary "seven-teams" Sheffield and Kenny "12 stops in the majors" Lofton to shut the fuck up, grab a big heaping stein of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted